Chapter 18

📍Bucharest, Romania | December 2015

"Why were you looking at the toy store when I found you?" Bucky asked the white-headed woman while they sat on the sofa.

It was snowing outside, so they decided to stay in their apartment.

She replied, "The doll."

"Why?"

"My physical aspect grew two times faster, right?" She said.

"Right."

"So, my brain was forced to match the pace of my body. That's why by 10 years old, I already graduated with a Ph.D. in a nearby University. All my classmates are in their 30's," she narrated.

"At 7 years old, my body was already the size of an 18-year-old. My chest grew and started my period. But of course, I was still a child by age. And having nothing in the facility except an empty room, I've always wondered how it felt like having a doll when I saw one at the age of 4."

"Wow," Bucky said.

She nodded her head, "Mhm. I was only allowed in the facility once to memorize the route, which was at 4 years old. I saw all these kids on the road, playing, while I was forced to match the growth of my body."

"I never had anything, even experience, aside from training and being a lab rat," she finished.

"But when you escaped?"

"When I escaped, I focused on hiding and doing assassinations to people who should have gone in jail but were pardon because they were rich."

There were a lot of things she was robbed of, and James decided that she'll make her experience as much as he could give her.

"Do you remember anything about your life back in Brooklyn?" Sapphire asked him.

Bucky nodded, "Not much, yet. But I do remember having 3 sisters. We weren't well off, so my mother had to work multiple jobs to provide for us."

"She sounded like a loving mother," she assumed.

"Yeah, she was," Bucky had a proud smile.

It was nice to hear stories from him. Ever since he started writing down in the journal, it became easier for him to talk about his past, even what went down in HYDRA.

He told me that he'll be frozen again after every mission, and brainwash him when he remembers things he shouldn't.

"So, were you a ladies' man before?" She asked.

Bucky chuckled, "I hate to brag, but I was. The uniform did help with women."

She rolled her eyes at him.

"I mean, look at you. I got you to love me even without it," he teased.

"Excuse you?!"

"Oh by the way, if anyone asks, you're my girlfriend," he said nonchalantly.

"Is this how you make your lovers back in the day? You just assume that they're your girlfriends?" Sapphire dramatically gasped.

"No. That's just me to you. You know too much for me to let you go," he shrugged.

"Thanks for asking... again," she deadpan.

Bucky intertwined their hands together and kissed hers, with his ocean eyes locked into her icy ones, "Sapphire, I don't know your last name, will you be my girlfriend?"

Play the song to get the full effect of the following scenes. Read slowly and savor the moment. It's a MUST: