Chapter 43

Play the song to get the full effect of the following scenes. Read slowly and savor the moment. It's a MUST:

📍Siberia, Russia | May 2020

2 years can either be a short or long time for someone who lost a loved one.

And, they would say trauma isn't your responsibility but getting better is.

For Sapphire, "but" becomes an invalidation. The same thing that she felt during her scream fest with Steve.

She traveled from country to country, masking her pain with void. And to all the places she's been to, she tried to find her peace.

But no.

Peace only came to her in the form of blue eyes.

She wandered, going back to the place she escaped from.

For 2 years, she's been doing missions again in Siberia. The tales of the Angel of Death became popular again.

Sapphire didn't kill anyone. She promised Bucky that she's not doing that anymore, back in Bucharest. But, she did scare her victims shitless, making them confess to their acts and tip the police anonymously.

Everyone saw the mystery of her as a hero or another hope because crime rates began to rise after the snap.

For Sapphire, it's the only way she could release her pain and anger.

She didn't care anymore whether she ends up in jail or some organization like HYDRA would get her.

It doesn't make a difference, knowing that each waking morning, she's waking up to the emptiness.

Her nightmares started again. 

But this time, it wasn't the face of her violator nor Dr. Petrov.

It was Bucky.

Bucky plague her mind of all their memories together and the "what could have been's." Seeing him makes it a nightmare because she knew that he'll be gone when she opens her eyes.

There was a knock on the door, which made her look at it suspiciously. No one knew where she lived, and she's not fond of other people to make friends. Plus, it was snowing mid-year. So, who could it be?

"Кто здесь? (Russian: Who's there?)" Sapphire asked, standing up.

No one answered, the knock only continued.

She slowly got her knife from the bedside table while walking towards the door.

"Кто здесь? (Russian: Who's there?)" Ahe asked again a lot louder as she gripped the doorknob. There was still no reply, only the repetitive knocks.

She opened the door slowly, peeking at the small gap, seeing no one. Sapphire furrowed her brows, opening the door wide open with no one at her doorstep.

She was about to close the door when she looked at the ground. 

It was a big basket with a ball of white cloth.

Sapphire bent down about to hold it when the cloth moved. She retracted her eyes in shock and gripped the knife tighter.

She slowly got a grip of the small cloth and put it down, seeing a small human being.

It was a baby who was sleeping soundly. She carefully pokes the chubby cheek to check if the child was alive, and the mouth starts to nibble, still sleeping.