These Four Walls

It's difficult

Watching us fade

Knowing it's all my fault

My mistake

Yeah, and it's difficult

Letting you down

Knowing it's all my fault

You're not around

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Zayn! This is wonderful!" Mrs. Malik threw her arms around her only son. I sat there, smiling, at the scene. It was a genuine smile. The kind of smile that comes when you know you've found a home.

Zayn's family was so warm and welcoming when we entered. They all embraced us both equally in tight hugs and wide smiles. Zayn didn't beat around the bush this time. He told them we both had an annoucement, so we needed to say it now. I guess he didn't want a repeat of last time.

We all went and sat in the living room. A white couch was on one side and two matching chairs on the other. A fire place was to the side, and a door leading into the kitchen on the other. His family, mom,dad, sisters, they all sat staring at us on the other end. I didn't want to say anything, and Zayn knew it, so he took a deep breath and said, "We're married." The girls squeeled. "And Kate's pregnant." This is where you all came in. Hugs and congratulations were all being passed around. They all seemed genuinely happy. So I was happy.

The groupd started talking, discussing Zayn and I's plan for the future. Mr. Malik talked about the difficulties this marriage would lead to, but he also discussed the joys and wonder of having a child. Zayn's sisters were all giggling and trying to pick out the perfect name for the baby, boy or girl. During all this commotion, Mrs. Malik lead me into the kitchen.

The kitchen was small, an island with a breakfast nook and enough cabnits to house a grocery isle. I watched her as she went straight for the coffee pot and poured a glass. Next, she went to the fridge and pulled out a bottled water and handed it to me. 

"Kate, I cannot tell you how excited I am." She smiled brightly at me.

"Me too," I replied smiling.

"No, I'm extremely excited. I know you're both only children yourself, but I know these things will work out for the best. I have faith in both of you."

I set the bottle down. "Thank you. That means a lot."

She set the cup of coffee down in front of her and leaned over it. A deep breath excaped her lips, and, for the first time since I'd arrived at the Malik's, she looked unhappy. Worried, almost. Her fingers tapped the glass slowly. It was like she was trying to tell me something. It was definitly something internally.

I could only imagine what it would be. She had just told me she had faith in Zayn and I. What could be the bad part? Something about the baby? The marriage? I needed to know!

I looked back at the door, picturing what was going on in there. Probably Mr. Malik still lecturing, Zayn telling him he knows and it's going to be fine. The girls were definitly on their phones and computers looking up names. Each a different gender. 

I laughed to myself.

Mrs. Malik looked up at me. "Kate," she finally spoke. Another deep breath. "What about One Direction?"

My heart sank. One Direction? I had totally forgotten all about the band until now. I was so wrapped up in my own little problems that I forgot about it. The whole band was ruined because I had to go and sleep with both of those boys. It was my fault.