Chapter Thirteen

Maya's POV

Carina's shift started an hour before mine today so I was going to work without her this morning, but I'm not alone, I will still have Amelia. I give Amelia some toast and a bowl of berries for her breakfast then send her to brush her teeth before I get her dressed into the cutest joggers and hoodie set I have ever seen.

"You like, princess" I ask her, taking her over to the mirror so she can see herself.

"I love it. Can you leave my hair down today please Maya" she says as I go and get a hair bobble and her hair brush.

"Yeah, you still have to let me brush it" I say as I hold the hairbrush in my hand.

"Fine" She says, clearly not impressed given the tone of her voice.

"Drop that attitude missy" I say to her, trying not to be too serious.

Her body tenses up and she eyes instantly divert down to the floor. "I erm, I'm sorry." she says quietly.

"What's wrong" I ask her as I notice her sudden change in body language, her eyes still focused on the ground. "Amelia, can you look at me. Please" I say to her as I kneel down in front of her.

She takes her eyes focus off of the floor and looks at me but still avoids direct eye contact. She takes her hands from being my her side and starts to play with the cords of my hoodie I am wearing.

"Can you tell me what is wrong Amelia. I can't make you feel better if you don't tell me what is wrong" I say to her, Amelia still not looking at me eye to eye.

"You scared me. My mommy would say that to me before she, she"

"Its okay, I know what you mean baby. You don't need to say it. I'm so sorry, I didn't know. But you know that I would never hurt you Amelia."

"I know Maya, but it still scared me" She says as he makes eye contact with me for a split second. I can tell she is thinking about something but no words leave her mouth.

"Do you want a hug before we leave Amelia. I feel so bad about making you scared" I say to her, opening my arms as I welcome her in. She nods her head at me then tightly wraps her tiny arms around me. I place a quick kiss on her cheek before telling her that we had to leave. She grabs her bag that I packed from the coffee table then puts on her shoes. I grab my bag from by the door, making sure that I have everything I need before heading out the apartment and going to the station.

Carina's POV

"How is Amelia settling in" Arizona asks me as she walks into my office.

"She's doing as good as she can be. We had a little but of a scary moment last night where she had a very realistic dream about her mother but other than that, she has been really good." I say to her as the look on Amelia's face last night when she woke up from the dream.

"I would love to see her again. That is of course is Amelia and Maya is up for it" She tells me with a smile across her face.

"I think that is a good idea, I'll ask Maya later on when I go and get Amelia from the station and I will let you know what she says. Just then I get a page. "Sorry Arizona but I have a baby to deliver." I head on out of my office.

"Bye Carina" she says to me as head on out into the hall"

"Bye Arizona"

Andy Herrera's POV

I am just about to get into my car and head on over to the station when my phone pings a notification. I check who sent it and see that it was Maya.