Chapter 11: Never on the day you leave

Sarawat's POV (Janaury 2020)

I woke up early in the morning with these new memories of meeting Tine in the music club, secretly taking a picture of Tine from my new phone, sharing an actual meal with him at a restaurant, and dropping him back home. May be I could have been a little less passive and rude with him, but I was also younger and a bit immature. I was grinning ear to ear when the memory of me putting a band aid over Tine's finger popped in my head.

It seemed like I was less anxious around and I got more comfortable with him. Tine bursting in a public bathroom and yelling at me to be his friend definitely helped take away all the anxiety I had of seeing Tine again.

Sitting for breakfast with Dim, I had even more memories of Tine — Going to his apartment. Sharing a waffle with him. Deciding on a dinner with him.

I wonder how the dinner went. It was eventually a date, wasn't it?

"You are smiling again. Its good to see you like this again." Dim said. We were staying in a resort an hour away from Bangkok for a music video shoot for my new album — the album that I didn't exactly remember writing, but it somehow told the story of my life, my unrequited love for Tine.

"Just had a good, old memory pop up in my head." I smiled back.

"I am just happy to see you like this again Wat. I know the whole news about Tine hit you like a rock."

I looked up at Dim. Tine and I met again but the future didn't change yet — Does the future not change everytime we meet? It only changes a few times. That's right, I have been getting new memories of meeting Tine the last few days, but nothing has changed yet. It is all the same.

So, what triggers the future to change? I should really look into it too.

"Wat? You okay? What are you thinking?"

"Nothing.. Nothing. Listen Dim, did you find those police reports from Dad's accident that I asked you to?"

"I did, but Wat, why are you looking into it now? You told me you didn't even want to think about it?"

"Well, now I am thinking about it. Where's the report?"

Dim sighs. "I already emailed it to you last night."

I opened up my phone right away, scanning through my email, I finally found what I was looking for.

"A drunk driver in a red Mercedes crashed her car into a Fiat SUV on February 1st, 2017 around 11am, near the Bangkok University Freeway.

While the drunk driver Maya Teepakorn died on the spot, the Fiat SUV driver, Thipat Guntithanon and his 21-year old son were rushed to the hospital."

Maya Teepakorn? Teepakorn? This can't be that big of a coincidence. The surname and date match with the details Dim gave me, but I still need to confirm. Tine's mom died three years ago too.

"Umm.. Dim, you know, I was actually searching old news articles about the accident last night and I noticed something — All the articles only mentioned dad's name, not the name of the drunk driver or even me. Only the police report mentions her name."

"Yeah I found it weird that time too and I even looked into it. All I remember is that the woman was really drunk, she was in her 50's and driving some Mercedes — so I am guessing her family didn't want their name smeared in the newspapers. She is dead anyway, it's not like putting her name out there would do any good."

That could be Tine's family. I didn't know much about Tine s family but I could guess they were pretty rich. Tine still wore a Rolex and his wardrobe was full of designer clothes that even I couldn't afford. Tine s family probably cut him off when he left the house.