Chapter 12: You don't need to save me

"The future keeps changing Tine, but I keep living through my worst nightmare over and over again. I can't go through it again Tine, I can't."

Sarawat's POV

I hugged Tine tightly one more time. I had been to his grave twice in the last week and honestly I never, ever want to see that godawful tombstone again.

"Wat, you are scaring me now. Please tell me what happened?"

Looking up at Tine, closely this time, I realised he was all dressed up for a date — a date with me that was never a part of new memories, and now I knew why. I was the reason. I wasn't just living through the consequences of what changed in my future, but I was changing my future too — And Tine's future with it.

When I gave those news headlines to Tine, it led to us meeting in his world, which changed my future. And now that I am here in front of Tine, talking to Tine — I am changing the future again, slowly and steadily. I was the catalyst behind it all and Tine was only following through on my actions. I started this and may be I was the only one who could end all of this.

"Cancel your dinner, Tine. Its time we had a talk."

"But he is waiting — I mean you are waiting. Why don't we talk after I come back, Wat? You'll be home, right?"

"I know, Tine. I know who's waiting for you. But cancel your dinner. You can't meet me again in your world, not until we sort this thing out."

"But what changed Wat? Why do you look so... so baffled?"

"A lot of things changed.

You, cancel that dinner and lets just talk Tine. We can't throw arrows in the dark anymore. We need a plan."

Tine sighed. "I—I am honestly happy that you are here, but Wat, I really don't want to cancel the dinner."

"I know, Tine. Trust me, I hate it too. But there are some things I need to tell you — about the future. I think it's time you knew."

"What—what about the future? What happened, Wat?"

I looked down. "Why don't you send out a text first to cancel the dinner? I am probably waiting for you — I mean, the me in your college."

"Yeah. Yeah you are right. Okay. I'll do that now."

Tine picked up his phone and I saw him text me in his world to cancel the dinner. It was the same text that I saw in my memories.

Tine[07:58pm]: Hey, I am sorry but something urgent has come up and I don't think I'll be able to meet for dinner. Let's catch up another time. I am really sorry.

Sarawat[07:58pm]: Is everything okay, Tine?

Tine[08:00]: All good, nothing major. Sorry for cancelling at the last minute. Hope you hadn't left your dorm yet

Sarawat[08:01pm]: No, I was just about to leave. Don't worry about it. I'll see you tomorrow.

I remember the new memories now, I was lying to Tine. I had already parked my car outside his building, waiting for him to come down — which he never did.

The wheels were already in motion and we needed to stop it.

"Okay Wat, I have cancelled my dinner. Now please tell me what went so wrong in the future."

"I will. Lets—lets sit down first. Is it okay if I go take a quick shower? I have been wearing these clothes on set all day."

"Yeah. Yeah of course."