Chapter 19: Go on a date with me, Sarawat

"What the hell even happened?"

Tine's POV (2017 - Present)

"I-- I am not sure." Sarawat said leaning against the kitchen island. "May be we just need to wait it out. The future does not just change rightaway. I have always assumed it takes time to create ripples that end up changing the course of the future. So, do you remember when you met me in the music club and then I showed up for breakfast at the apartment? I mean the 'me' in your world — I got those new memories the next day when I woke up. And then it took another couple of hours for the future to change. May be we just need to wait it out.

When did you see your mom today?"

"About an hour ago."

"Okay, so may be its all because not enough time has passed. We probably just need to wait it out. When did you meet me?"

I stared at Sarawat trying hard not to roll my eyes. "You have been driving me around the whole day, even though I insisted, many times that I didn't need to be driven around."

Sarawat's lips curled up. "Sounds a lot like me. What else did you do today — driving around?"

I sighed. "Met the private investigator. He's going to get back to me in a few days."

"Good. That's good. How did you arrange all the money so fast?"

"I-- You really dont you have new memories of us? You should remember it by now if we have been together almost the whole day."

"I—I dont know." Sarawat answered. "The timeline has changed twice for me and it has made it difficult for me to separate old memories from the new ones.

Let me try and think if I have any memories like that of us. We met at college today?"

"Yeah. We met at college, went to the PI's office, then had dinner, and went to a bakery to meet mom. You were wearing a white t-shirt, and ripped blue denim. And I was obviously wearing the same clothes as now."

Sarawat sat on the sofa with his head in his hands.

"Wait... Tine, did we — did you go to the market too?" He lifted his head up and stared at me. "Tine, you tried to sell your bloody watch!"

"Okay... so you definitely have new memories. Its just you are remembering the part I hoped you would forget."

"Tine, your mom gave you that watch. You sold everything but kept that watch — It must have been important to you."

"Its not more important than my mother. Now, if you remember everything that happened today, may be you can tell me if the future changed too?"

Sarawat spaced out staring at the wall. He walked up to the living room again to check his wallet. "My hospital visiting card is still here."

"So, your dad's still in the hospital... But what about mom? What about me? May be you should check, Wat."

He picked up his phone and closed it down in just a few seconds. "Everything else is still the same."

"How can you be so sure Wat? You should at least go out and check."

"Everything is still the same, Tine. Trust me. If you were alive in my world, I would know."

Of course. Of course he would know. If I was alive in his world, he wouldn't be here, talking to me.

"But then, why—why didnt anything change? Mom promised me."