𝐂.42

promise me

ROCK MUSIC BLASTS FROM JJ'S ROOM, still not enough to block out his father's screaming

ROCK MUSIC BLASTS FROM JJ'S ROOM, still not enough to block out his father's screaming. JJ grunts into his hands, frustration, and guilt seeping through his bones. He growls through his teeth as his hands rummage through his hair, pulling on the locks. He paces in his room, his mind racing over the ideas of how he should sneak out— without getting into more trouble.

"How you gonna get that money back, huh?!" Luke screams from outside his room, the walls thin from the wear and tear over the years. "By sittin' round, doin' nothin'?!" Luke yells again, drinking a mixture of alcohol and slamming it down on the scuffed-up dinner table. Beer bottles, cans, garbage, tools, and fishing supplies were scattered about. "I'm gonna tell you right now," Luke starts as he fixes something in his bait box. "You are a worthless piece of shit! Your mama knew!"

"Shut up!" JJ yells back, pounding on his door frame. "Shut up!" He grinds his teeth as he tears off his bedding and throws it down in frustration.

"You tell me where you're gonna get 15 grand now! Get your ass in here now!"

JJ ignores his father, kicking the bedding jumbled up on the floor, anything to get his anger out. He doesn't go in the living room, instead, he continues to pace back and forth in his room, waiting until his father drinks his way to sleep. Apparently, verbally and physically abusing your child makes you really sleepy.

The music shuts off as his father lays down on the couch and passes out with a Budweiser can in his hand.

JJ's breath is heavy and fast-paced as he pushes off his bed. He walks into the living room, biting his lip as peeks around the corner to check on his father. His body shakes as he steps into the clearing. He stares at his deadbeat father. His eyes were teary, puffy, and red, his skin sticky from the sweat. Clutching his backpack strap, he tears it off his shoulder and hastily pulls out his gun. One thought ransacking his mind: Kill this son of a bitch.

His lip quivering as he hovers over Luke's snoring body. Tears slowly falling down his face, stinging the open wounds. He cocks the gun, shutting off the safety. JJ gulps as he points the muzzle to the center of his forehead. The barrel sways violently as JJ hesitates in pulling the trigger. He grits through his teeth, pain aching throughout his entire body. Blood, sweat, and tears as his heart couldn't do it.

He pulls away. Clicking on the safety and sobbing back out of the house. Bag in hand.

Revving his motorbike, he escapes through the forest; swerving in and out of the harsh marshland; dodging roots, bushes, and trees as he heads straight towards John B's.

➵ ➵ ➵

JOHN B WALKS TOWARDS THE CHÂTEAU with so much nonchalance that one might think he was a walker. He did have the right idea of walking around the main driveway and taking the backside where the canoe boats were tied up on top of each other. He smiles to himself as he's finally back home, not realizing that JJ was behind him.