BONUS CONTENT: III

"Did you purposefully pick one of the hottest days of the year to do this?" Nero groaned from beside me, laid with his arms and legs spread out as far as possible like a star across the grass.

We were all out on the training field today - both the official Colorado pack wolves, and the trainees. Nero and I were sat under the direct heat of the sun, next to Thane, as the trainees sat closer to the main house, on a small, gentle sloping hill of thick, uncut grass. The official pack wolves, supervised by the inner pack members; Sandra, Lorcan and Adriel, stood by the sparring rings, separated into three distinct groups. They murmured amongst themselves, stretching and working through light exercises.

"Yes," Thane confirmed from above us, nodding absent-mindedly as he surveyed the area, watching as the three teams prepared themselves.

"Well, why the hell would you do that?" Nero asked incredulously, shooting up into a sitting position, outrage warping his expression. His brown curled hair was matted to his forehead, and his cheeks were flushed with heat; he honestly looked adorable - not that I would tell him that. He was dressed only in loose exercise shorts, his pale, sweaty chest exposed to the sun.

I was almost certain that full blooded wolves could not get sunburn, and yet Nero was so pale and had been laid out here for so long, I was honestly beginning to grow worried. I had applied a light layer of sunscreen this morning, not willing to take the risk.

"Because," Thane drawled, turning down towards us with a smirk, showing no signs of guilt. Thane had also opted to forgo a t-shirt, and I was more than pleased to be able to ogle him so freely. "Adriel hates the heat, and he's been annoying me lately."

Adriel certainly had seemed particularly grumpy this morning, and his pale cheeks were now flushed with colour as he spoke quietly with some of his patrol group.

"Of course this is Adriel's fault," Nero grumbled, twisting to scowl over at his uncle on the other side of the field. I only laughed and nudged him with my elbow, satisfied when a smile cracked through his irritated façade.

"Team leaders," Thane called out, his voice loud enough to draw the attention of Sandra, Lorcan and Adriel. The three of them dutifully stalked towards us - Sandra and Lorcan's expressions set into a hard mask of determination as they walked in front at an equally quick pace.

"Are we starting?" Sandra asked eagerly, before she'd even reached us, looking sharp and alert.

"What's the first challenge?" Lorcan quickly followed up, with just as much fierce enthusiasm.

Adriel said nothing, three steps behind the two of them, with a scowl on his face, his pale hair twisted into a knot at the back of his head, short strands stuck to the sweaty skin of his neck.

"Something new this year for our first challenge of the day," Thane drawled, looking far too smug for whatever he was about to reveal. "A game of capture the flag - but we're including the trainees."

"What teams?" Lorcan pressed, edging closer, gaze fixed intently on his Alpha.

"You choose," Thane answered.

Sandra's attention had immediately snapped towards the group of trainees sat on the grass a short distance away, our supposed audience for todays challenges. She was clearly already scouting out those she wished to join her.

"How many trainees do we even have? How many on each team?" Adriel asked.

"You've misunderstood. They're not being divided evenly, it's whoever you can convince to join you. Better to think of this as your first task, actually." I half expected to find an evil smile on Thane's face at the tone of his voice. He was certainly enjoying himself far too much. He glanced down at me, sat on the grass by his feet, amusement gleaming in his eyes.