Thirteen

"Perhaps we only leave so we may once again arrive, to get a bird's eye view of what it means to be alive. For there is beauty in returning, oh how wonderful, how strange, to see that everything is different but know it's only you who's changed."

- e.h

"You shouldn't have come here," Harris chastised in a sharp whisper. We were currently tucked away in the corner of the Nevada main house, all too aware of the watchful eyes and hushed comments as wolves passed by. Harris was hunched over, face in line with mine. He was tense, as tense as he had been on the field, and his eyes continued to hold a certain sheen of wild ferocity. I imagined he would remain in such a way until this entire mess had been sorted.

This trip may not be as short as Harris had hoped, and he would no doubt be on edge the entire time we were here.

"I tend not to let assholes dictate my choices in life."

"No, no," he sighed. Leaning forward, one arm stretched out over my shoulder to plant firmly on the wall behind him as his other hand pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm glad you're here with me, I am, but this situation is complicated, everyone is on edge and I don't want anything to make the situation harder than it has to be."

"Their prejudice is not my fault." I was agitated, riled up more than usual and seemingly looking for a fight that I had no business starting. Benjamin Russo's words had gotten to me more than I had initially thought.

"I'm not saying that," he growled. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I'm not weak, and I'm getting sick and tired of everyone presuming I am."

Glaring right into his eyes, I knew had I been another wolf that I would be cowering on the floor with my tale beneath my legs right now. I was in the wrong here and I knew it. Alpha Harris was staring at me with such intensity it was a surprise I didn't just melt into the floor right where I was standing.

I wouldn't back down though. It would do no good to announce my strength only to submit to his will moments later. Jutting my chin out defiantly, my jaw was clenched as my body seemed to naturally lean closer to the enraged Alpha. But he didn't bite, wouldn't take my challenge. He was an experienced Alpha after all, a wolf who knew when to fight and when not to. Now, in foreign territory, against a wolf of no position and no ability to shift, was not the time to demonstrate his numerous combat skills. Yet he didn't withdraw his eyes either, leaning in to meet my challenge with a frustrating lock on his emotions.

I waited, silent, for his next words. I could almost taste the sharp bite of his oncoming reprimand.

"You're here." The soft exclamation pierced the fog that weighed heavy between Harris and I.

I had been so caught in Harris' gaze, so enraptured in his proximity, that I had been completely oblivious to the familiar Alpha wolf that appeared behind me. The sound of his deep voice, so unexpected, sent a shot of fear through my chest as I was suddenly ripped from whatever stupor I had fallen into.

"Jack!" I exclaimed, my voice cracking.

Immediately I was stepping away from Harris, the older Alpha's arm falling back to his side as he straightened up. His familiar scowl – the one that had been present back in Idaho – was back as he too faced Jack. Without a farewell, or even an acknowledgment of the other Alpha, Harris was stalking off.

My eyes followed his determined path through the large pack house, watching as nervous Nevada pack wolves scattered in his wake.

"Emily," Jack's soft voice drew my attention back to him. He was staring at me deeply, his eyebrows pulled into a deep frown. "I didn't expect to see you again, so soon."