Twenty

"What a curse to be ever understanding but never understood."

Kamilla Tolnø

"Samual, could no come," the Alaskan Alpha growled, the Scottish purr of his accent thick against the harsh tone. "As he is now playing Alpha amongst those feral wolves, thanks t'your command."

"It's only temporary." Thane rolled his eyes at the towering male before him, not seeming the least bit concerned by the rage in his expression. There was no hint of fear from my Alpha Male, not even when even Sandra cringed in the Alaskan Alpha's presence. "Thank you though, for coming."

The wild Alpha sighed deeply, nostrils flaring as he tried to contain his anger. He nodded once in acknowledgement of Thane's words, before his eyes drifted towards me and Nero on the porch.

"Fuck," Nero swore softly beside me, tensing as his eyes dropping to the floor away from the powerful male. I barely bit back my smile.

I stared back at the Alaskan Alpha for a prolonged second, a second longer than I should have, before I politely averted my gaze.

I heard his rumbling laughter a second later.

The male had been waiting outside the main house when Thane and I had returned from our swim. Sandra, Adriel and Lorcan had been lingering nearby, watching him with clear caution, while the rugged male merely sat with his back against the wooden porch, seeming the least bit concerned by the watching eyes.

When Thane and I had emerged from the trees, the male had clambered to his feet and waited in silence for Thane to reach him.

I had wasted no time in leaving Thanes side, desperate to change my clothes and shower, only to be caught by the door to the main house as Nero emerged, a wicked grin directed my way. He almost hadn't even noticed the other Alpha only a few feet away, his attention very much secured on my form clad in Thanes t-shirt, reeking of him.

Already I could see what was sure to be a taunting quip forming on his tongue, but it quickly died at the sound of the Alaskan Alpha's thick Scottish accent filling the air. And so he had simply been content to sit on this damn porch, eager to see what transpired between the two Alphas and forcing me to sit with him. Hunting for gossip, is what he was no doubt doing. The nosy little wolf.

With my gaze still averted from the powerful male, the oldest wolf currently residing in America, I waited for the conversation between the Alpha's to resume. Silence remained, and instead my sights were filled with a pair of large bare feet stopping before me.

"Emily," the old wolf greeted, bowing his head toward me slightly, amusement rife in his expression. He didn't acknowledge Nero beside me. Heat claimed my cheeks, all too aware that he would smell Thane on every inch of me, and I on him. But he didn't say anything more, choosing instead to walk past me and a tense Nero, and entered the main building as if he had been here a thousand times before. All eyes locked onto his retreating back.

Silence engulfed the six of us still outside after his departure. Silence, until Adriel audibly shuddered and muttered under his breath, "Gods, I hate it when he comes here."

Sandra, Lorcan and he were stood next to Thane now, three strong wolves guarding their Alpha from a possible threat. Not that I thought Alaskan Alpha would ever be a threat to Thane, not after what he had shared with me about his upbringing. In fact, Thane didn't seem the least bit concerned by the other Alpha's presence, and I remembered the vague plans that had been made for this visit while we were in Nevada.

"You just don't like Alpha's," Lorcan chided, shoving the immature Beta Male away from him when Adriel crudely stuck his tongue out.

"Believe me," Thane drawled, drawing everyone's attention, "the feelings mutual Adriel." The mocking smile he sent Adriel sent Sandra cackling, and I was rendered frozen on the porch as I witnessed the usually stern Alpha Male finally engaging in the teasing his pack loved so much.