Twelve

"The people who consider you weak have not yet noticed the wolf hiding behind your eyes, nor the flames inside your soul.

Let them think you are weak and do what wolves and fire do best.

Surprise them when they least expect it."

Nikita Gill

The morning after my initiation I was awoken an hour earlier than usual, 5 am, because of a loud commotion on the floor above me.

Growling, was the first thing I could distinguish; growling and raised voices.

Blinking drearily, palms rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I rolled to my feet. I slipped out of my room still in only a thin camisole vest, and stretchy pyjama shorts, not bothering to change as I paused by the bottom of the staircase that led into the Alpha's floor and the source of the early morning disruption. I could hear him, pacing, back and forth across the wooden floorboards. Adriel's distinct voice vibrated in an unnaturally soothing manner, against the sound of Alpha Harris' footsteps.

"What's going on?"

I jumped, yelping quietly as Nero appeared beside me without warning. I should have heard him approach but I was still half asleep. The young wolf grinned at my fright.

"I don't know."

"I'm sick of shit like this," Sandra could be heard hissing.

Alpha Harris snarled something fierce in response, his words barely recognisable.

"Let's go find out." I started to climb the stairs, only stopping when Nero's hand fell to a tight grip on my forearm.

"What are you doing?" His eyes practically bugged out of his head. "It sounds like Harris is about two seconds from ripping someone's head off."

"It'll be fine." I rolled my eyes, shaking myself free of his grasp.

"Well I sure as shit ain't following you."

"Wuss," I muttered, continuing my quest to investigate. I was too damn nosy for my own good. Something bad must have happened to have the Alpha so riled so early in the morning. After a month of knowing the wolf I had yet to see him ever lose his patience. In fact this was certainly the first time I had ever heard him shouting from anger.

Outside the door to the Alpha's office more growls could be heard.

"Nevada have been a pain in my ass for too damn long," Harris hissed.

"You know how they are," Adriel's cool voice consoled. But it didn't seem to help the situation at all, more stomping could be heard from the room until the heavy footsteps stopped completely and the door to the room flung open. Frozen, my wide eyes locked onto Alpha Harris stood hunched in the doorway.

His ridiculously tall frame was too big for the doorway, his shirtless shoulders hunched and his head ducked low, short dark strands of his hair hanging against his forehead.

"You spy on Alpha Athen like this?" His expression was blank, but his gruff voice gave away his irritation. There was no use hiding his emotions anyway, I had heard every growl through the floorboards.

I swallowed harshly. There was nothing malicious in the Alpha's gaze but I couldn't help but squirm under it anyway. I knew I was in the wrong.

"No."