~28~

Photo by Sigmund on Unsplash 

The complete shock I feel is soon replaced with a cold rage. I am angry at myself for not listening to my gut when I walked into the throne room with the queen. I am angry at Percy for deciding against me coming because I am a woman. I am angry at Iytche for...well, everything. I am angry that I am the only one right now free, therefore the responsibility of everyone being saved is up to me. I am angry, period. And what better fuel than anger? 

Percy glares openly at Iytche, his limbs practically trembling while being restrained. The others are observing the courtyard around them, no doubt looking for a way out or leverage.

Without a second glance back, I take off running. It takes a moment to figure out where to go but I am soon in the empty palace halls. My stomach hurts and I clutch it tighter, trying to make haste.

The royal bedroom is not hard to find, for it is the biggest and only room in the hallway. I throw open the queen's closet. One of the first things I learned while training in a man's camp was to put myself below the radar. Women are viewed as weak, and while that is not true, I can use it to my advantage.

The gown I practically ripped off the hanger is pale yellow and flowy. It hugs my chest and waist while giving my legs a wide berth. I re-bandage my wound with a new strip from the jacket and shirt I take off. I then strap all my knives to my thighs and shorts I am leaving on. Breathing heavily, I slip on the dress with a grunt. My plan runs through my head and I take comfort in the certainty of it.

Finding my way back to the courtyard is easier. I skid down the halls, the gown flying behind me in rippling waves. Everything is running through my head in turmoil as I run. If they would have just listened to me. But if I did come, would I have been blindsided like them?

No, I would've been smarter, I didn't tread carefully in an all-male camp for nothing. I'm more observational. I am more than what they think I am. I am more than what society thinks I am. And my emotions are not weak, they are strong and they are driving me forward.

The courtyard is the same from when I left. My comrades sit, tied up, and looking panicked. It is clear they are all trying to think up a plan. I know if any of them could think up something, it would be Percy. He can get out of anything. But I don't have time to wait and see. I have my own plan.

The first tied-up guard startles to see me. I read his facial expression. It is filled with terror, despair, grief, and disbelief. Lifting a knife, I gesture to his binds and the guard's tension eases. The others around us see me crouched low, cutting through his binds. I hear a whisper of excitement and relief. I shush them.

As I make my way through a quarter of the guards behind Iytche, I watch her walk to my comrades. Fear nestles in my stomach at the sight.

Iytche tips Percy's chin up with her gloved finger. "I took care of that friend you sent into my palace."

I watch the confusion on Percy's face disappear only to be replaced with horror and something like despair. My heart clenches. 

Have a great day/night wherever you are! - The Fangirl