~6~

Photo by David Tomaseti on Unsplash 

"You're smart," Percy stands in front of me. I sit on a creaky, wooden chair in his meeting room tent, my ankles crossed around the legs. "But you are falling behind." 

My heart sinks. I hang my head, listening to General Hedge begin to speak. "Soldier, head up." I meet his eyes. "We are leaving for the battle at the end of the week. If you are unable to prove you're worthy of being here, you and your sad little butt are going home." I watch the candle on the table flicker, deep saddness and dissapointment in myself seeping down, down, down, down. 

Percy doesn't look at me as the general leaves the tent, his anger with him. I sit there, processing the fact that even here too, I am a disappointment

Percy speaks softly, "Over the time I've gotten to train with you, I've noticed something that not many here do."

My heart stops. He knows. He has to. "Percy - " I start.

" - you have determination. Gosh," he laughs, before saying, "the number of times I have seen you struggling or falling behind, and yet you get back up. You're relentless, Andrew."

I don't like him calling me that. I have the sudden want for him to know my real name, have the sudden curiosity to hear it on his lips, to have him look at me the way I am. But with that is fear. 

Even if I could reveal my identity - which I can't - would he accept me for who I am?

Percy continues to talk, "You're ambitious and you don't take no for an answer. Not to mention, you're not a jerk." I smirk a little at that. He meets my eyes this time, when he says, "We need that in soldiers. Don't fail me."

Pride and determination bloom in me. "Yes, sir." 

I thought this scene was important enough to be its own chapter. 

 @Keefoster0208 has convinced me to begin watching Julie and the Phantoms

Have a great day/night! - The Fangirl