~4~

Photo on Ricardo Cruz  by Unsplash 

Entering the arena, I see it is empty and I take out my dagger. We are all expected to arrive here in twenty minutes for drills. I figured it'd be best to come early and warm-up. I hear footsteps behind me, sturdy and sure. Looking over my shoulder, I take in Percy Jackson, our drill instructor with surprise and a little intimidation. 

His eyes catch mine. "Soldier."

I bow my head slightly, "Sir."

"You're here early," he comments, setting his water jug down.

I shrug, trying out the dagger trick of twirling it around but fail. It clatters to the ground. In embarrassment, I pick it up, saying, "I wanted to warm up."

He smirks a little, "Well, you need practice. Let's warm up then."

I stop. "Huh?"

Percy gestures to me, "You heard me, let's warm up. I'll let you make the first move."

I raise my dagger. He instructs me throughout the slow battle, correcting my posture and teaching me different ways to beat someone, to counter them, to corner them. Soon enough, we finally end up fighting, each striking and countering.

I find myself cornered by him, dagger on the ground. His face resides a couple inches from mine and I can feel his heavy breathing fanning my face. He seems distracted for the first time in our fight. Never put your guard down in a fight. Thalia's advice rings in my ears. I take his wrist and judo flip him.

He grunts, as I pin him to the ground, knee on his chest. "Never put your guard down in a fight," I say breathlessly.

Percy's eyes sparkle with amusement. Once again, I realize our faces are closer than before. My heart beat quickens. This time it is me who is distracted, and Percy flips us over, taking my dagger and pinning me against the ground this time. "What did you say before?" Percy asks cheekily.

~~~

"Andie is here," Luke calls, snickering with a couple buddies when they all walk into the arena. I stand to the side, drinking water after my 'warm up' with Percy. Though I would hardly call such an exercise that. When Luke gets closer, he says in a lower tone, "You're dead Perch." Calling me by my fake last name I made up off the spot when I saw a bird perched on a tree branch.

Giving him the finger, I walk toward Leo, Jason and Frank. Thalia told me all about them, and to say I knew her so I would be spared from partnering with Luke. I feel his eyes on my back the whole walk toward the other group.

They all look up when I approach and I smile, "Hi, I'm Andrew Perch, I thought I recognized you." I look directly at Jason.

"You do?" He quirks an eyebrow.

Knowing full well on what to say, I also add a little twist, "Oh for sure, I'm friends with Thalia!"

Jason freezes before clearing his throat, "How do you know my sister?"

"I met her when Luke knocked me out," I try to chuckle, failing miserably.

So far, I've told nothing but the truth. Thalia told me Jason can easily detect lies, and though I haven't lied, he is analyzing me. But I'm not stupid, I am the biggest lie of all and if I don't cover my tracks, he'll find out in no time. At least that is what she told me. I have to earn their trust. Somehow.

Percy and General Hedge come into view along with another random guy. Percy clasps his hands together, "Jefferson and I will demonstrate, you will repeat. Got it?"

"Yes sir, yes!' We all shout.

The random guy, as I assume to be Jefferson, swings an uppercut at Percy. He deflects it, grabs the arm and judo flips him. I sigh in relief, knowing full well I can do that one.

Percy then begins walking around watching each group, eyes never missing a thing. Turning my attention to Jason, I say, "So do you want to go first or...?" I draw out.

He opens his mouth to respond until we hear a thud. Looking over to the group, which happens to be Leo and Frank, Percy was watching, Leo is on the ground half knocked out. Frank looks at him panicked and guilty, "Leo I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to flip you so hard."

The medics take Leo away and Percy lays a hand on Frank's shoulder, "It's fine Frank. We need a new partner for you now though."

Half of me freezes up, worried Jason will go to Frank instead, but he stays put. Percy chews on his cheek, looking around. His eyes then land on me. "Jason you come with Frank, I'll go with Andrew," he says, not taking his eyes off me.

Jason obediently goes, and before I know it, everyone around us to learning to perfect the move while Percy places himself in front of me. Closing my opened mouth, I swallow my shock and fear.

"We already know I can do it, so I want you to go first," Percy says, adjusting his stance.

He advances toward me and I swiftly block him, grab his hand mid-block and flip him easily over my shoulder. I put my knee on his chest, not too much pressure, making sure he can breathe, but enough to hold him down.

His eyes search mine and I stare back. It is only when I hear a triumph shout of someone perfecting their flip in the distance that I spring upward and off of him.

"Your eyes," he comments. "What colour are they?"

"Stormy grey, sir." 

His eyes adjust to my stance, evaluating my performance. "You are smaller than most of the guys and not as strong. You need to work ten times harder to keep up, soldier. I suggest learning to turn their strength against them."

"Yes, sir."

He only nods, turning his back and walking away. Percy spins his arm in the air, shouting, "Twenty laps, now!"

"Aye, aye sir!" we all shout. 

You must be wondering why I updated on a Friday and not our usual Monday. Well, I figured I would release a chapter the same day the live action Mulan came out! 

Have a great day/night wherever you are! - The Fangirl