~3~

Photo by Guillaume Galtier on Unsplash 

"Rise and shine," Thalia says, hitting my face with a pillow.

"Seriously?" I moan, turning over.

"Annabeth, you've got training today, come on. It's time to kick some butt," Zimmers greets me, with oatmeal in hand. I sit up and he stuffs my face with food. "Now, remember to play nice with the kids, I don't want a black eye again," he scolds.

I give him a pointed look before strapping on my armour. "I want to stop by the weaponry to swap the sword for a dagger," I tell them, heading out.

I run across camp as the sun begins to ascend. Breathing in the fresh scent of the morning dew, I enter the weaponry. "Hello sir, what may I help you with today?" A guy says, barely looking up from a document he is reading.

"I would like the best dagger you've got, please," I ask, lowering my tone - the early morning adding a scruffiness to it.

The man looks up and accesses me. "I think I've got something. Wait here."

I watch him walk to the back. I fiddle with my fingers as I wait. I have to admit; I am a little nervous for today. Luke will take his anger out on me, and I need to make sure that I get a different partner for tomorrow. I only have had one training session with the girls, that will not be enough to beat Luke.

A door swings open behind me and I look over my shoulder to see Percy enter. Cursing, I whip my head back around. The flipping co-general is here. I am reminded once again how dangerous it is for me to be here, to be doing this.

"Morning soldier," Percy greets, facing me to my side. He sounds cheery today, I scoff.

I remain staring forward, "Nice day out." I make an extra effort to deepen my voice.

Silence surrounds us, and I bite my lip, groaning inwardly at the awkwardness. The man finally comes about and takes us both in. "Percy," He nods. Then turning to me, he hands me the dagger. "Use it wisely."

"Thank you," I say quickly before bolting out of there.

Releasing a long-held breath, I make my way to the arena to train with Thalia. This morning is free, meaning I can do whatever I want until training at 12pm. Walking in, I spot Thalia punching a dumpy. I clear my throat and she docks an arrow, facing me, weapon pointed and ready.

"Whoa, whoa there," I shout, throwing my hands in the air.

Thalia smirks, "Sorry, you can never be too careful." She then looks me over, "You know I never actually fully processed how you dressed yourself as a boy. No wonder Luke picks on you."

Scowling at her, I unsheathe my dagger, handing it over. "I got it, now you can show me how to use it."

Thalia quirks an eyebrow, "Nice choice." She then flicks her eyes over at me once more, "Are you training as Andrew or Annabeth?"

I clamp a hand over her mouth, "Shhh, keep it down. Andrew."

Thalia just rolls her eyes and jerks away. I watch her slowly turn her back and walk away, tossing my dagger to the sandy ground. I pick it up just in time to deflect her blow. "First lesson," Thalia breathes, knife against dagger. "Never, never, put your guard down in a fight."

She twists and hits the padding on my leg. I duck her punch and spin, kicking her in the chest. Thankfully she put on padding too. Thalia catches my leg and twists it, sending my spiralling in the air before falling to the ground. I notice as I stand, a couple soldiers looking as they walk by, laughing. I look at them confused, but the look on Thalia's face says it all. I am a boy in their eyes, and apparently a girl beating a boy is shameful.