Untitled Part 20

Something inside me shook. It was so calming. I stared up at her in disbelief, "Okay." I whispered. It was truly all I had. There were no words in the English language that could possibly thank her enough. She said what I needed to hear my entire life. 

"Okay." She repeated, putting her hand on my shoulder, "Let's get outta here before this place falls on us." She looked at the cracked wall beside us, back at me. I nodded, leading her down the hall, looking over my shoulder at the wall one more time. I put that there.  The guard had a little girl. I knew the guard. I knew what he had done to me. I don't remember her name but she couldn't have been more than five. I had saved her from him and she ended up being more afraid of me than she was him. I guess she loved the man, unknowing of his crimes. The truth is I didn't mean to kill him that day, I never wanted her to see that. 

Natasha and I didn't talk the entire car ride back to the tower, my dad was waiting by the door when we got there. Instantly he asked where I was, why I left, if I was hurt, if I needed anything. Question after question without a second between them. There was so much it felt as if I couldn't breathe, let alone say anything at all. I nodded, "I'm sorry." 

Nat stepped beside me, the binder lightly scratching my arm in her left hand, "You're not the one  who should apologize."

My dad pulled me into a hug and just held me there. He said something to Natasha but I don't know what it was. I was consciously trying not to think about HYDRA. It's a hell of a lot worse when I'm not there. I hadn't hugged him back but I didn't want him to let go. He didn't. Not for a minute. 

When I was back there all of the memories that hover over me constantly were right there. It felt like I had the power to change everything that happened in there as I walked through, but no one can change the past. Nothing bad should ever happen, yet it does. Would anything be good if it didn't?

If you think about it, and I mean really think about it, humans are no different from animals in the wild. Taking advantage of the weak, cowarding behind the strong. Human nature will never change. How can it? We say we're superior to every other being on earth yet, they fight to survive and we fight to prove we're right. Whoever's left on the battlefield, wins and- "Vixen." My dad said shaking my shoulders a bit, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "yeah. Yeah I'm good." Okay I think he gets it. Shut up now. "Just thinking, that's all."

"About?" Shit. He looks concerned. I scared him... again.

"Puppies, rainbows, kitt-" I felt my eyes trailing to the right and continuously tried to look at him. Easiest tell in the book. Not to mention that sounded like total bullshit coming from me.

"Now what was it really about?"

I sighed, "Just how it's better now. And not only because it has to be."

He smiled, messing up my hair, "Okay. What I was trying to say before is Thor is waiting for you in the kitchen." I fixed him.

Before, Thor. that rhymes. I thought to myself processing what he had just said. Thor's waiting in the kitchen! Okay, okay, don't act sus. "What for?"

He shrugged, turning to Natasha, "What's that?" 

I tensed for a second, making eye contact with Nat. She raised an eyebrow at me, I raised one back. 'Go ahead.' I mouthed, before walking away. 

I basically ran up the stairs. I needed to ask him about my necklace. I couldn't let him take it though. 

"Tiny human! You've arrived!" He raised his hammer in the air, smiling.

I smiled, he looked like a child when he did that, "Did I keep you waiting long?" I sat up on the counter.