Chapter 13: Mud

Chapter 13: Mud

The locker room was filled with cheers and laughter as everyone dried off and got into comfier clothes.

"Excited for the party tonight?" Draco asked, slinging an arm over my shoulders as we made our way towards the exit.

I couldn't help but slightly grimace "Yes?"

He frowned, squeezing my shoulder "Is that a question?"

I stopped, letting his arm drop from my shoulder as I turned to him before we got to the door, "I can't help but be a bit anxious about the party" I admitted, "Especially after the last one"

He visibly stiffened, probably remembering now why I would be so nervous about attending another party in the Slytherin common room. My insides cringed slightly at the quick flash of pity that crossed his face, so I quickly added "And I also wanted to talk to my friends, considering they didn't find out about any of this the way I planned them to"

Draco held my gaze before inclining his head and repositioning his arm around me, "You don't have to come tonight, it will probably be a bit crazy, I don't know if even I will stay the whole time"

As he opened the door for us and we stepped out I decided to lighten the mood slightly, "Well, if you do happen to leave early, my bed always has a little more extra space in it"

He smirked, leaning down to kiss me when something I can only identify close to a growl came from just across from the door. I snapped my head to see who made that noise, and I should've guessed it. Ronald fucking Weasley, standing there along with Ginny and Harry. I'm a bit surprised they didn't invite the whole team with them.

"Hey guys," I said, trying to smile brightly at them, hoping it keeps them civil for longer.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Ginny snapped, taking a step forward. "I want a clear explanation right now Hermione, or you will have to be at the other end of one of my bat-bogey hexes'"

Draco had a tight grip on me, but I reluctantly stepped out of his hold, putting a bit of space between us so the attention was solely on me. "I had gotten caught too many times for being out after hours, so Dumbledore made me start managing the Slytherin Quidditch team" I confessed.

"Since when?" Ron questioned, standing at his full height as if he could ever intimidate me.

Crossing my arms, I answered honestly "The night before we broke up"

Ron simply looked away from me, sending a glare towards Draco who merely just stared back unamused. Ginny shook her head, her red-haired plait whipping around aggressively. "So why the fuck didn't you tell us?"

In all honesty, my main answer was fear. Fear that they would use me for their own teams' benefit. Fear that they would later judge me as I formed friendships with the people on the team. Fear that they would stop seeing me the same way. I was never a fan of change, and this was a big one.

I lifted my shoulders "I didn't know how you all would react-"

"-So you just made us find out during the most important game of the year?" Harry interrupted, speaking for the first time. His tone was even, but the look on his face made my stomach roll in guilt.

I felt tears prick at my eyes, but I refused to let them fall "I didn't want you all to find out like this"

"Find out about what exactly?" Ginny bit out. "Find out that you helped the Slytherin team win? That you befriended all the Slytherins and became their new favorite toy? That you are now in a relationship with the worst of them all?"