Chapter 7: (??? ARC)

??? ARC

"Ah, Kiriko-Chan," Hiruzen smiled, his crows feet prominent. He leaned forwards over his desk, propping up his elbows on the hard wood surface. The sleeves of his robes fell down to reveal wrinkly skin, but still there were sinewy muscles on his arms. He gave off a kind feel, reminding me of a cozy home, like I was right next to a lit fireplace. His grandfatherly aura, I realized, was his chakra. It was dispersed in the air, but felt almost artificial when compared to sincerity, like the color of a red crayon is to the color of a strawberry.

As one would use their chakra in killing intent to intimidate, he used his to give off a non threatening air. How... clever.

And calling me by my given name, and softening it with 'Chan'? It is an informal, cutesy honorific that is often reserved for children. This could be him trying to establish familiarity with me.

I took it as a power play.

"Hokage-Tan," I greeted, channeling an inner angel-child into a smile. I was raised to be a perfect child, so this expression was not difficult for me to muster.

I was not amused.

I was not impressed.

And that showed in the way that I addressed him. 'Tan' was considered 'cuter' than 'Chan', and was therefore used to soften someone's name. 'Chan' was for children, 'Tan' was used for babies.

If I was a Princess, or Kiriko was, she would probably not tolerate being called by her given name. Much less 'Chan'. Kiriko would demand respect, slam her fist against a table or perhaps snap a silken fan closed that she would have been hiding a thin paper smile behind. Hana was just as livid. "How long was I out for?"

There was a small blip in his chakra, almost amused and almost offended. Like he saw a child being rude and thought it was endearing.

I didn't acknowledge that. It was demeaning, and overall unimportant.

"About twelve hours. Do not worry, Hime-Chan. You only had chakra exhaustion." Again, with the 'Chan.' As both a fifteen year old Kiriko and an almost thirty year old Hana, I was losing patience. Also, hello? I'm a mercenary princess or something! "I hope you find your stay here in Konoha pleasant."

Hah. Cuz that's likely.

"How long do you expect me to stay?" I said instead of commenting.

"Why, at least for the Chunin exams! We are hosting it, this year, and the last Uchiha is competing along with many of our clan heirs," the Hokage shamelessly advertised. The Uchiha would probably have been enough to sell Kiriko, but I was Hana. And, as Hana, I knew what Sasuke would become. Though I believed he was justified, as he originally had no knowledge of Itachi's true nature, I was still unimpressed.

And did they really just not give the tortured orphan any therapy? I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda just threw him back into the clan compound, leaving him to scrub the blood of his family from the floors.

"I would expect that you'd find it most entertaining!" Hiruzen went on without a clue of my inner thoughts.

I've already seen the Chunin exams. I have no need to watch it in person.

"I am afraid I would have to pass," I dipped my head, not bowing it but lowering it just a tad to convey an apology. Not that I was sorry, but just to act as such. And I tagged a quick excuse, weaving it into the flow of the conversation rather than making it sound last-minute. "Kirigakure has told me that they are unable to send any Genin as of now. I would like to find out why."

Kirigakure has been dark to the other Shinobi nations due to the civil war. No one told me anything, but it was again knowledge from the anime.

Why was I in an anime of all places?