Chapter 4 - Some First Lessons ☕✈️📝

(DAY 2 w/ THE BAD BATCH)

Entering hyperspace, the tension present since birth left SAC-1's shoulders because finally, FINALLY lightyears were being put between her and the Chief Medical Scientist.

But she had to prove herself as an exceptional soldier to keep it that way.

Swerving her seat SAC-1 faced the rest of the Bad Batch with determination. "So, what's our next mission?"

Occupying the chair next to Wrecker with his arms crossed, Hunter stared at her impassively for a moment, as if he was trying to see past the facade he knew she was putting up.

Unable to break through, he merely half-shrugged. "Don't know yet. We were on leave for a few days, and it usually takes a day or two after we're back on the clock before we get another mission, and the cycle repeats for each mission after that."

Sitting behind Hunter, Crosshair leaned back in his chair and mimicked Hunter's posture. "Because of those gaps, we rarely take a leave of absence." His suggestive tone that revealed to SAC-1 that he was assuming she'd throw a hissy fit about the lack of real breaks.

To his frustration, the corners of her lips lifted. "Good to know that I'll never be bored."

Crosshair hid his dumbfounded reaction behind a bored hum, deciding to rest his eyes for a moment.

"But why will it take a few days to get a mission?" SAC-1 asked Hunter specifically, "Don't we just have to report to our commanding officer, and he'll give us one?"

"We're different from regular squadrons of Clone Troopers - we don't report to anyone."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Then, how do you receive your assignments?"

"Just because we don't report to anyone, that doesn't mean we don't communicate with others in the army. If someone has a mission his regular troops can't handle, they call us."

"So your missions come at random, without warning or any form of organization?"

Hunter gave a curt nod, growing annoyed that she was so clueless, and had a feeling that the next mission, whatever it was, would end badly.

Eyebrows rising, SAC-1's cheeks puffed out with a baffled exhale. "Wow. Mistress Nala Se did say you guys were different, and I guess she wasn't kidding because this goes against everything I was taught about being a soldier." Then she shrugged to dismissive her pessimistic tone. "But, you guys haven't failed a single mission, so it works."

"We get the job done." Wrecker said with a confident thumbs up.

"I'm relieved we won't be getting a mission right away." Tech chimed in, turning his chair. "It will give me some time to learn the specs of this ship before we engage in combat."

"We'll learn together, right?" SAC-1 asked hopefully. "I respect that you're the designated pilot to Clone Force 99, and the others know how to fly as well, but I'm looking to learn more about the aerial combat variety - might come in handy one day!"

Tech nodded. "I set the navicomputer to the remote planet of Dantooine. There we can safely test your pilot skills in addition to trying out our new weapons system."

Normally, SAC-1 would have jumped for joy - she was going to learn how to pilot a ship! - but Nala Se's words echoed in her mind so remained calm and guarded and in control of her emotions, just giving a smile to Tech, kinda thinking that he was just being nice to her because of orders.

Tech now noticed her lack of enthusiasm, and with his brilliant mind deduced that it had to do with her short conversation with Nala Se. He made a mental note to figure that out later; right now, he had to familiarize himself with the ship.