Chapter 36 - Not All Heroes Wear Armor 🧸

The door swung open, Crosshair's new pair of pants were hurled at his head, and Talla was out the door again before the unpleasantly surprised man could verbally retaliate.

Reeling from the breakfast shared with the traitor, Talla crossed her arms with a sigh, toothpick long been chewed to splinters and spat out by now. The admiration for the blinding sun in this Force-forsaken desert land had vanished. It did nothing to pacify her irritation, Talla having to squint no matter how she positioned her head. Man, she wished she owned a hat to protect her eyes. The sun going evil hand in evil hand with the arid atmosphere surrounding the Lawquanes farm for hundreds of miles, Talla felt hot, Talla felt sweaty, Talla felt thirsty despite having drank something not five minutes ago, all in all making her grumpier than when she left the breakfast table.

A cluster of tiny shadows zoomed across the yard. She squinted upwards to gaze upon a flock of squawking starklebirds landing into a nearby, monster-sized tree. The family's crops towering around the farmstead could have provided ample shade too, except Talla found no motivation to go find shelter, mind spiraling downwards with overanalyzing her squad's questionable choices. The whole thing, their whole attitude about this, it was just downright more idiotic than how they usually were, and in her opinion definitely not worth the risk of losing what little they had. They had already, STUPIDLY risked mutiny for mere sentimentality, Talla had found out. The team was finally in a good place, overcoming their trust issues, but here they were, back to square one it felt like.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood up. A distinct feeling Talla was being watched tingled her senses. Without having to look, the presence of a small sentient being was felt peeking around the side of the house.

The Agent counted to three, then whipped to her right only for the little hybrid she knew it was to recoil backwards out of sight. But she knew it was the little girl who'd been staring her down over breakfast. "I'm not in the mood for games, kid, so come on out!" Talla called out to the young Lawquane girl in a not so kind way.

A couple of frustrating seconds passed with zero acknowledgment for the order, but Shaeeah finally did slide into Talla's view. Her demeanor was unsure and bashful when approaching the strange, outlandish woman who when close enough, seemed tower over her intimidatingly, looking down her nose at her. In the same manner as over breakfast, the awed little girl contemplated Talla's brightly highlighted strands of hair, Talla's colorful clothing and nails, her shiny piercings, her totally wizard blaster and knife and sword handle thingy.

All this took to the extent of uncomfortable time that made Talla break under the imaginary pressure, "What do you want from me?!" She snapped, making Shaeeah jump. You couldn't tell Talla had several years of endurance training under her belt. Widened pink eyes twinkled with curiosity met Talla's silver ones, widened with exasperation and frankly lots of self-consciousness. This mere child had the power to unnerve her within seconds flat. With frantic hand fidgeting through her hair, over her clothes, and waved in the air in general Talla demanded, "Why do you keep staring at me like - like I have THREE HEADS and - and CLAWS for hands and - Force I don't know, A KRIFFING TALE or something?!" Oops, she slipped up on the cussing. Hunter told her and Crosshair specifically not to cuss.

Talla may as well had all those outlandish features she listed, looking that exotic to Shaeeah. "We don't get many visitors here - especially girl ones." She breathed in revelation, her awed smile creeping its way back upwards, "It's usually Uncle Crosshair, Uncle Wrecker, Uncle Tech and Uncle Hunter, or this other Uncle who I can't talk about," Talla's eyes sparked with betrayal but Shaeeah didn't care to notice, "So Jek gets to see other boys -" Bubbling over with excitement, the girl hopped forward into Talla's literal space bubble, "But I finally get to see another girl!"