Chapter 24 - Some More Firsts 🥴

(CORUSCANT - NIK'S PARLOR - DAY 23 w/ THE BAD BATCH)

Newly named Talla was constantly asking questions to those around her, and most of them were kind enough to patiently answer them. Her squadron members (besides Crosshair) greatly sympathized because they knew what it was like to be thrown out there in the big wide galaxy with no guidance beforehand. The Bad Batch boys willfully bestowed what little knowledge they had upon her.

And there were just purely kind and experienced folks, like Nik, and Sky, and Blair, who were always ready to help out.

Like right now!

Because she refused to accept the discount applied to Soldiers of the Republic for the amazing body art the Parlor owners did, Talla had asked if there was any compromise, but they refused the extra money. Since she was so inclined though and unwavering, they just put her to work. 'Sweat Equity' they called it, which was basically Talla would be a volunteer employee whenever the Bad Batch docked on Coruscant.

Man, there was A LOT to learn about 'regular jobs.' And also speaking apparently, because spending more and more time away from Kamino, Talla learned that while she spoke fluent and perfect Basic, there was a whole 'nother layer to it she was learning bit by bit every day.

"Can I ask you another question?" Talla once again politely asked of Nik, who was at his station organizing his supply cart.

"Shoot."

Talla's brows snapped together. "I uh, don't have a blaster?"

Movements stopping, Nik shot her a confused look, but once he remembered who he was dealing with and the mistake made, a good laugh was had. On his end at least.

Concerned Talla... had no idea her new pal Nik suffered from suicidal idealization! And was so far down that spiral he requested her to put a plasma bolt through his skull.

Placing a hand on his shoulder, Talla promptly told him, "There is a fantastic psychiatric program at the Grand Republic Medical Facility I've read about, and if you want me to call an airtaxi and accompany you on the right path to a healthy mental state I am more than willing -!"

🟣◾🔺◽🔻◾🔺◽🔻◾🟣

(CORUSCANT: CLONE TROOPER BASE - DAY 26 w/ THE BAD BATCH)

Crosshair can and has slept through a Kaminoan hurricane.

And even occasionally taking a light slumber before dinner, for him it was not the light slumber of a normal person. No not light at all. He was completely dead to the world.

Wrecker's first cooking endeavor, which consisted of making simple seared bantha burgers for dinner, it somehow ended in a small explosion that destroyed the stove and oven... and Crosshair didn't stir an inch. That was a feat in itself already, but considering he was a kriffing soldier fighting in a kriffing war that constantly had kriffing bombs chucked at him, the fact he didn't instinctively snatch the hand blaster from under his pillow and snap into a battle-ready position really showed how unnatural his sleeping abilities were. In fact, he really took the expression 'Dead to the world' to a whole 'nother level.

Everyone on this ship wondered why he even had that blaster under his pillow. He'd be completely useless if someone broke into their home.

Actually, that might not be true. If you think about it, suppose the intruders wanted to wake him up and experience the rush that came with interacting with their victims before they killed them or whatever...

Yeah.

If they didn't end up believing that he was dead as opposed to just 'dead to the world,' that poor sucker would be brutally sucker-punched halfway across the galaxy if they succeeded in actually awakening him from the deep dark depths of his unconsciousness.