Chapter 22 -🪵 Sticks and Stones 🪨

That blasted (but failed) Kamino invasion where beloved 99 died.

That disastrous (but successful) rebel base infiltration where Tech got shot.

Hunter (formerly) wanting to spill Talla's blood from Kamino to that rebel base.

It was a hellish week for the Bad Batch squadron.

So, while his brothers dropped off the rebellion leader at the Republic Military Base, Wrecker's feet had wings, so to speak, when he had another destination in mind: Nik's Parlor.

That's where his girlfriend-

(heh, even mopey he LOVED saying that)

- where his new girlfriend ran her side of the business from.

The sting over 99's death was still very much fresh, yet instead of wanting to continue hiding out, Wrecker now had hopes Skylar would offer physical affection like she tried on their first date... but this time he was open to accepting it. Maybe a hug could help put back together the shattered pieces of his heart, at the very least offer some relief. The weird butterflies in his tummy and hangover-like nausea would be a welcome sensation compared to the way his chest felt like it was being painfully crushed over and over again when he thought about 99's sacrifice, and how he couldn't even go the tiny funeral.

If nothing else, spending time with Skylar could give Wrecker a break from his grieving family. With everyone's emotions outta whack, even with Talla's help the batch of brothers kept getting on each other's nerves with their different coping mechanisms. It was probably to be expected, as death brought out the worst in people, Tech had so helpfully pointed out before Wrecker escaped. Talla happily tagged along with Wrecker, also needing a break, but at least her and Hunter had resolved their differences.

After that disaster for a first date, Skylar suggested brainstorming things the new couple could do together once he returned. Obviously, Wrecker was unable to think of ideas this time around, but maybe Skylar had! But he did try thinking on the fly while him and Talla took a speeder from the Marauder and through the districts leading to the Parlor. Skylar didn't mind his last spontaneous idea, so perhaps another would prove exciting and definitely end on brighter terms! It was their second unspecified chunk of time together, and he wanted it to be spent wisely but memorably. To create plenty of pleasant memories to sustain them both until the next time.

GEEZ though, it kinda almost still felt too good to be true for Wrecker - "I have a sweetheart, Talla!" Wrecker loudly marveled down at Talla, who briefly looked away from her flying to throw him a relieved smile over her shoulder at hearing him be something other than bereaved. "I have somethin' to look forward to after a mission, and it doesn't involve explosives!"

Many thought they'd never see the day.

Yet after parking, there was a moment Wrecker had to pause and draw in a huge breath, to give the needed strength to gather himself from the slouch up to his full height - this was reg-infested territory after all. Needed to show no weakness.

Wrecker felt Talla touch his arm. "You gonna be okay?"

He nodded once. The pause before the chaos, her constant compassion, the excitement at seeing Skylar, it gave him the needed strength to face reality. There'd no doubt be questions of concern from Skylar because Wrecker's special lady was just that compassionate too. And sweet. And thoughtful. The fact she wasn't mad after he ruined that first date proved this.

Stepping through the automatic doors, both soldier's eyes widened at seeing the Parlor was slammed today. It was hard enough as it was for the gentle giant to not bump into people or objects, so Wrecker suffered many toe-stepping, elbow blows to the stomach, and mean names before finally stumbling upon the back counter where Nik and Blair were checking people in and out of appointments, taking payments, and tersely offering discounts to angry customers.