Chapter 1

And the Sun Will Rise (ExR Fanfic)

Chapter 1

Song for this chapter: Kodaline-Brother

Enjolras didn't know which was worse right now: the weather or his mood. As he trudged through the cold January drizzle, still seething from the argument he'd just had with his father, he felt like a ticking time bomb, ready to detonate at the slightest irritation. It was unlike him to get so worked up- normally, he hid his emotions under a cool exterior. But today, his anger was still bubbling under his skin when he turned the last corner and found himself in front of the little café that was the closest he'd ever come to a home.

Taking a deep breath to try and calm himself, he pushed open the front door and as he stepped into the warm interior with its smell of freshly brewed coffee, a bit of the weight slipped off his shoulders, just enough for him to feel almost normal again.While he was crossing the main room, the door to the little space in the back which he and his friends had claimed as their headquarters flew open and a blond head appeared in the doorway.

It belonged to Gavroche, the little brother of Éponine who ran the café. Enjolras had found over time that there was simply no keeping him away from meetings, so he'd eventually been allowed to stay and was now an honorary member of the Amis, as the group called themselves.
"Hey, Enj" the younger boy greeted him with his usual look of admiration. For some reason, Gavroche, who never listened to anyone, had chosen to hero-worship Enjolras and he would have been lying if he'd said he didn't enjoy it. In fact, it was what he loved most about being part of the Amis. Here, he wasn't the disappointing wayward son, but someone the others looked up to. A commander-in-chief, an authority.

"Hey, Gavroche" he replied, ruffling the younger boy's hair. "What's the mood like in there? Is it likely that they will murder me for being late?"
"Nah. Except for Bahorel, maybe."
Enjolras wasn't surprised. That guy was a troublemaker and always had been. Oh well, he would just have to suck it up. With Gavroche close on his heels, he squared his shoulders and entered the room. Immediately, the others interrupted their conversations and turned towards him. They were all there, gathered around their usual table: Jehan and Combeferre by the window with an open book in front of them, Joly, clutching a sodden handkerchief, Bossuet beside him like a sturdy giant, Bahorel at the far end, leaning so far back on his chair that he almost tipped over, Feuilly, doodling on a napkin and Marius, his lanky frame folded awkwardly into his seat.

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence, Enj" Courfeyrac, Enjolras's best friend, called from his place at the head of the table, smirking. Anyone else would have earned himself a sharp rebuke for that comment, but Enjolras had known Courf since they were children, and thus tended to go easy on him (which Courf shamelessly took advantage of).
"Better late than never" was all Enjolras replied.
"Guess that's the perk of being the leader, huh? You can waltz in whenever you want without getting yelled at" Bahorel threw in as Enjolras took his usual seat beside Courf.
"Exactly. Whereas you are currently in the fast lane towards getting yelled at" Enjolras countered, giving him a sharp look.

Grumbling quietly to himself, Bahorel settled down and the meeting finally began. But for some reason, things weren't progressing today. Maybe the others had seen Enjolras's lateness as an invitation to be sloppy because nobody was really paying attention. Feuilly was drawing again, Bahorel was still sulking, and Joly kept interrupting the conversation with explosive sneezes. Even Gavroche got bored halfway through and disappeared back into the main café. Enjolras could feel his earlier irritation surging up again and with a frustrated sigh, he rose from his chair.
"I don't think there's any point in trying to keep this going. Let's end the meeting for now and reconvene here tomorrow. And you, Joly, get home to bed, for goodness' sake, before you infect us all."
Joly sniffed guiltily, while the others immediately began talking amongst themselves, obviously glad that the official part of things was over. Enjolras's annoyance flared up even more. Why could this lot never concentrate on anything for more than five seconds?