Chapter 16

Songs for this chapter:
Lauren Aquilina- Sinners
Sara Farell and Simon Samaeng- Still Falling for You (Acoustic)

"God, I love your bed" Grantaire sighed, burrowing deeper under the covers where they'd spent most of the past few days.
"So do I" Enjolras replied, scooting closer and wrapping him in his arms. "Especially when you're in it."
"You can be so cheesy sometimes" Grantaire laughed, leaning against him.
"Or maybe you've just corrupted me with all that poetry."
"I told you I would make a romantic of you yet."
"A part-time romantic, maybe" Enjolras conceded with a smile. Then, they just lay there for a while without saying anything else, having reached a point in their relationship where they were perfectly comfortable with silence. Enjolras tried not to think about anything except Grantaire's warmth beside him and the way he felt in his arms, but his mind couldn't help wandering to what awaited them after this moment, when Grantaire would be going home to his own apartment. Their week of togetherness had passed so quickly, filled with long, lazy breakfasts, wanders around Paris and evenings spent on the couch while Grantaire read aloud to him from To Kill a Mockingbird, which to Enjolras's own surprise, he was actually starting to enjoy. Rather than satisfying his need to be with Grantaire, their brief vacation from everyday existence had only made Enjolras want more time with him. He wanted this to be his life all the time. He wanted to wake up next to the man he loved, fall asleep beside him and spend all the moments in between together as well. And yes, he knew it was silly to be making such a fuss when Grantaire would literally be only five minutes down the road, but he was still going to miss him so much.

"Are you okay?" Grantaire eventually asked, interrupting his thoughts. "You're very quiet."
"Yes" Enjolras said automatically.
Grantaire just gave him one of his 'yeah, right' looks and Enjolras caved.
"Okay, no, I'm not. I just don't want this to end."
"I know" Grantaire said quietly, pressing in even closer until they were practically fusing together.
"I feel so- do you poets have a word for when you're kind of happy and sad at the same time?" Enjolras asked.
"Hmm... Sappiness already exists and means something else... how about 'hadness'? Being grateful for what you had, but also feeling sad that it's over now?"
"Perfect. So, what do we do about this particular case of 'hadness'?"
"Well, the obvious solution would be for me not to leave" Grantaire said. He'd probably meant it as a joke, but the words sparked something in Enjolras. What if they really could find a way to be together like this all the time? For a moment, he allowed himself to imagine a future where Grantaire moved into this flat with him permanently, scattering his books everywhere and trying out elaborate recipes in the kitchen. It was so incredibly tempting that Enjolras found himself blurting out: "What if you didn't?"
"Huh?"
"What if you stayed? Here, with me?"
"You mean as in move in with you?" Grantaire asked, wide-eyed.
"Yeah. I know this may be crazy because we haven't known each other all that long, but... I love being with you. And I feel like we've already wasted so much time because we were too scared of letting each other in. I don't want to waste any more of it."
"I- I don't know what to say to that" Grantaire said, seeming overwhelmed.
"How about 'yes'?" Enjolras replied, wanting so desperately to hear him say it. He'd never wanted anything more. Grantaire hesitated for a moment, looking torn, but then, he nodded slowly.
"Okay, then. Yes. Yes, I would like that very much."
"Really?" Enjolras asked as his heart did happy somersaults in his chest.
"Yeah, really. Now come here."

And with that, Grantaire took Enjolras's face in his hands and kissed him gently. It was a kiss full of new hopes and promises, of excitement about what their future might hold, but there was also a little bit of fear in the mix. The rational half of Enjolras knew that this was a huge commitment, that they might end up getting on each other's nerves once the first honeymoon period had worn off, that this whole thing might crash and burn spectacularly. But his other half, the softer, emotional one which he'd only really discovered after he'd met Grantaire told him that rationality and reason were overrated, anyway. It had faith in the love that had brought him and Grantaire to this point and which would continue to carry them, if only they trusted it enough.