Chapter 10

Songs for this chapter:
One OK Rock-Renegades
Landon Austin- Once in a Lifetime

Content warning: physical violence, some injury detail

"Rise and shine!"
Courf's voice brutally ripped Enjolras from his slumber, but he made no move to open his eyes. He'd lain awake for most of the night after the whole Grantaire mess and was now paying the price. All he wanted was to pull the covers over his head and block the world out. Never mind breakfast or showers or even the stupid protest.
"Hey, how come I'm the one waking you up? Talk about role reversal" Courf joked. His voice was way too loud, causing Enjolras to bury his face in his pillow.
"Courf, no offense, but please just shut up and leave me alone."
His friend seemed unbothered by the rude comment because moments later, Enjolras felt the mattress sag as he sat down on the edge of the bed.
"Sorry, can't do that. One, we have a protest to attend and two, I need you to tell me everything that happened with you and Grantaire last night. It's bad enough that I had to wait this long because I was working yesterday."
"There's nothing to tell" Enjolras said flatly, still with his eyes closed.
"So he said no when you asked him out?"
"He didn't have to."
"Okay, you're going to have to elaborate on that."
"I messed up, alright? I behaved like an asshole, and I freaked out when he tried to kiss me and- God, why am I such an idiot?"
"WAIT, HE TRIED TO KISS YOU??"

Courf sounded so excited that Enjolras opened his eyes to check his friend wasn't about to spontaneously combust. Reassured that Courf was fine, he flopped back onto his pillows and sighed.
"I think so?"
"What do you mean, you think so?"
"Well, I think he would have kissed me if I hadn't pushed him away."
"And why the heck did you do that?"
"I just got scared. It was too intense, too good, too-everything. Look, I don't expect you to understand. I don't even understand it myself."
Courf steepled his fingers and looked at Enjolras seriously.
"Enj, I really don't want to rub it in or anything, but you are such a moron. I mean, he obviously likes you and you obviously like him. This would all be so much easier if you could just find a way to communicate that to each other."
"I know that, okay? But I just can't."
"Right, here's what you're going to do" Courf said decisively. "When you see him later, just apologise and ask for a do-over."
"He's not even coming to the protest."
"Oh, I see. That's why you're moping around like a sad puppy. But don't think for even a second that you're going to get out of this one, Enj. You're the leader, for Christ's sake. Start acting like it."
Enjolras sat up with a groan, knowing he was beaten.
"Alright, alright, I'm coming. Give me a break."
"Attaboy."

***

And so, Enjolras found himself at the meeting place in front of the Musain an hour later, surrounded by his friends, whose infectious energy would have made him smile on a normal day. But today wasn't a normal day and so, he could only notice the one among them who was missing. He knew it was stupid, but still, he'd somehow hoped against hope that Grantaire was going to show up, after all. God, Courf was right, he really needed to get his act together. This protest was too important a thing for him to mess up just because he was feeling lovesick.
"Okay, everyone, are we ready to go?" he asked, trying to put at least some enthusiasm into his tone.
"As ready as we'll ever be, I suppose" Combeferre replied from his place at the back. Bahorel raised his eyebrows at him.
"I think what our dear friend is trying to say in his own inimitably passionate way is 'Bring it on'."
"Alright, follow me, then."

It would probably have been quicker to catch the Metro rather than walk, but taking all their banners on a crowded train seemed like a recipe for disaster. And the fresh air helped clear Enjolras's head a little, pushing the thoughts about Grantaire from centre stage to the side lines. As the Amis got closer to their destination, they started seeing more and more groups of people like themselves, armed with home-made placards and posters. It was astonishing how diverse they were, people of all skin colours and from all walks of life, ranging from little kids being carried on their parents' shoulders to pensioners with walking sticks. The Amis exchanged smiles and nods with the other protesters and slowly, a spark of excitement started to flare up in Enjolras's stomach. In the midst of all his private drama, he'd almost forgotten how good it felt to see all his hard work pay off. But as nice as these small encounters were, they did nothing to prepare the group for the sight that awaited them when they finally stepped into the square in front of the parliament building. It was absolutely packed with people, rows and rows of them tightly crammed together, even spilling over into the side streets.
"Holy goddess of the Revolution, that's a lot of people" Courf said under his breath as he took it all in.
"I know. It looks like half the city has showed up. Doesn't exactly take the pressure off having to deliver my speech" Enjolras agreed.
"Ah, you'll be fine. You're not a scaredy-cat. Apart from when it comes to your love life, of course."
"Oh, shut up."