Chapter 18

This is the last proper chapter. Thank you to everyone who's been reading this. I hope you enjoyed going on this journey with me- and Enj and 'Taire, of course.

Song for this chapter: Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson-All I Ask of You

Six Months Later (June)

"Nervous, Enj?" Courf asked as he exhaled the smoke from his cigarette with relish, shamelessly taking advantage of the fact that Éponine wasn't around to nag him about it.
"No" Enjolras replied, but he was lying. The butterflies in his stomach had been going crazy ever since he'd woken up that morning and they hadn't settled on the entire walk to the mairie.
"It's okay if you are, you know. I mean, one doesn't get married every day."
When Enjolras didn't reply, his best friend nudged him in the side.
"Hey, what are you so afraid of? He's already said yes, hasn't he? It's not like he's going to change his mind at the last minute."
"Thanks, now I'm going to be worrying about that the entire time" Enjolras said, glaring at Courf.
"Anyway, the thing you should be really worried about is my speech tonight. I am planning on unearthing all the embarrassing anecdotes I can possibly think of."
"Remind me again why I made you best man?"
"Because I'm your oldest friend. And as such, I'm telling you that we need to get a move on or you'll be late to your own wedding" Courf said, grinding out his cigarette under the heel of his dress shoes. It was weird to see him looking so sharp in his dark trousers and silvery-grey shirt. If he'd had his way, he'd probably have shown up in jeans, but Éponine had put her foot down, insisting he dress decently for once in his life.
"Okay" Enjolras said, taking a deep breath. "I'm ready."
And with that, he followed his friend up the steps to the register office.

Celeste was waiting for them outside the wedding chamber, wearing a sky-blue dress to match her name and already looking on the verge of tears, even though the ceremony hadn't even started yet. She'd cried as well when Enjolras had asked her if she wanted to be the one to walk him down the aisle, since his own mother wasn't around to do it. He'd sent her an invitation weeks ago, but hadn't heard back. It hadn't exactly come as a surprise, but still, he'd somehow hoped against hope that she wouldn't want to miss her only son's wedding. The thought that she clearly didn't give a damn sent a sharp stab of pain through him and he closed his eyes for a moment while he waited for it to subside.
"Everything alright, mon cher?" Celeste asked, putting a hand on his arm.
"Yes, I'm fine."
As he said it, Enjolras could almost hear Grantaire's voice in his head, scolding him for the fib and the mere thought of him soothed his sore heart. Today wasn't about his past or the still-aching loss of his mother. Today was about him and Grantaire and the love that had gotten them to this point, the love that was sitting in his stomach right now, its warm glow almost enough to quell his nerves.
"You're not having a change of mind, are you?" Courf asked, only half joking.
"Not in the slightest."
"Good, because I would hate to have gotten this dressed up for nothing."
"Honestly, Gabriel, stop being so dramatic" Celeste sighed. "And now, get yourself in there and tell them we're good to go."
"Oui, Madame" Courf said, saluting her. Then, he winked at Enjolras and mouthed "See you on the other side" before disappearing into the room. When the door had fallen shut behind him, Celeste turned to Enjolras.
"Ready, mon cher?"
"Ready" he replied, as the music struck up from inside the room, causing the butterflies in his stomach to run riot again. Rather than going for the traditional wedding march, they'd opted for All I Ask of You because of Grantaire's obsession with musicals-and because the theme of loving someone out of the darkness seemed entirely appropriate to their relationship. This was it, then. Taking a final deep breath, Enjolras took Celeste's arm and stepped through the door with her.

The wedding chamber was almost too small for all the people gathered inside it, decked out in their wedding finery. The Amis had turned out in full force for the union of two of their own and their smiles followed Enjolras like a wave of warmth as he slowly made his way down the aisle. They were all there: Bahorel and his new girlfriend Sophie, Joly and Bossuet and their partner Musichetta-Enjolras still hadn't quite figured out the details of that particular complicated relationship- Marius and Cosette, who'd gotten married themselves four months prior, Feuilly, the only one of the Amis who was still (happily) single, and 'Ferre in an impeccable dark suit with Jehan beside him, resplendent in a peacock-blue shirt and a flower crown of matching cornflowers. When Enjolras walked past him, Jehan smiled and whispered so quietly only Enjolras could hear him "Told you there's a soulmate for everyone."
At his words, Enjolras's eyes instinctively flicked towards the front of the room and when he saw Grantaire standing there, his heart felt like it was going to burst from his chest. Grantaire just looked that handsome in his dark trousers and simple white shirt. His inky hair, which he'd grown long again, fell loosely onto his shoulders and the single rose on his lapel was the exact same shade of red as Enjolras's suit jacket. But the most beautiful thing about him was his smile and the light in his deep green eyes when they locked onto Enjolras's. He was positively glowing and not for the first time, Enjolras thought how apt it was that he was named 'light'. God, he couldn't believe his luck that this man was about to be his husband.