Chapter 8

Song for this chapter: Sam Smith-Say It First

Sitting next to Grantaire was both bliss and torture, even after all this time. The six weeks that had passed since his induction into the Amis had done nothing to lessen Enjolras's feelings for him. If anything, they had only gotten stronger, like a wildfire that started with a tiny spark and then proceeded to consume everything around it. He tried his best not to stare at the other man, but it was almost impossible when they were this close. Forcing himself to look away before he got caught, he shot a glance over at Courf, who was sitting on his other side, ignoring him as he'd done pretty much ever since Grantaire had joined the group. Enjolras still hadn't figured out why his former best friend was mad at him and that only made it hurt even more. Right now, with all the confusing feelings rattling around inside him that he didn't know what to do with, he would have needed Courf more than ever. But it didn't look like his friend was going to thaw around him anytime soon and so, he looked away again, turning his attention back to the conversation Jehan and Grantaire were having beside him.

"Why do you think Marius is late today?" Jehan was just asking. "Courf and Bahorel think it's something to do with a girl, but I personally can't see him dating anyone. He's just too... Marius."
"Oh, I don't think I'm qualified to answer that one" Grantaire replied and for a brief moment, Enjolras's heart stumbled. Did that mean what he thought it did? Was Grantaire the same as him? But the other's next words extinguished the little flicker of hope in his chest.
"I mean, you guys know him better than I do."
The hint of sadness in his tone hit Enjolras straight in the heart. He'd suspected for a while now that Grantaire still didn't really feel part of the group-most of which was probably Courf's fault because of the hostility he continued to radiate around Grantaire. Enjolras had repeatedly told him off for it, but it only seemed to make things worse. What a mess this whole situation was... Thankfully, Jehan's next words interrupted his gloomy thoughts.
"What about you, Enj? Any theories on old Pontmercy's whereabouts?"
"Well, wherever he is, we're going to have to start without him" Enjolras replied. Then, in a fit of recklessness, he added "Unless, of course, you'd all rather continue your fascinating conversation about love affairs and women."

He directed the words right at Grantaire, a hint and a challenge all at once, daring him to say something. Their eyes met and as always, Enjolras lost himself in all that green. It was enough to drown in and who knows, he might have done if the moment hadn't been rather harshly interrupted by the door flying open behind them. A flushed-looking Marius barrelled into the room like a cannonball and collapsed into an empty chair at the end of the table.
"Sorry I'm late" he panted, wiping the sweat off his face with his sleeve.
"You'd better have a good excuse for this" Enjolras said, unable to keep the annoyance out of his voice.
"I do. The best excuse of all, in fact. Love."
Marius managed to look both bashful and proud of himself as he said the words.
"I knew it!" Courf crowed, playfully nudging him. The easy familiarity of the gesture tugged at Enjolras's heart. He would have given almost anything to have his friend tease him like that again.
"Please do tell" Courf continued, homing in on Marius. "We want all the sordid details."
Marius's face flushed even redder, taking on the shade of a lobster with sunburn.
"There aren't really any at this point. Her father is incredibly strict, so we mostly meet up in the evenings when he's asleep. But today, she managed to sneak out and we went to the park and-well, we rather lost track of time."

The others erupted into a chorus of wolf-whistles, except Enjolras, who did his best to look impassive, not wanting his friends to see how much he suddenly envied Marius, simply because he got to spend time with the one he loved.
"What is this wonder girl like, then? Apart from insane because she's willingly dating you" Courf teased.
"Well, her name is Cosette-" Marius began, but before he could say anything else, an almighty crash from the main café startled everyone. Grantaire recovered first, getting to his feet.
"That didn't sound good. I guess I'd better go and see if everything's alright."
"Fine. And then maybe when you get back, we can all concentrate on the really important things again" Enjolras said. All this talk about love and romance was starting to get on his nerves because it only served as a constant reminder that this thing between him and Grantaire- if it even was a thing- could never have a future.