Chapter 15

This is my personal favourite... though be warned, it is cheesy as hell.

Songs for this chapter:
Édith Piaf- Plus bleu que tes yeux
Édith Piaf- Hymne à l'amour

It was the weirdest sense of déjà-vu, Enjolras thought as he opened his eyes the next morning to find Grantaire sleeping next to him. He couldn't help remembering the last time they had been on this sofa together. In some ways, the present moment was exactly the same: same two men, same lumpy mattress, even the same positions: him with his head on Grantaire's chest and the other's arm draped over his shoulders. But in all the ways that mattered, it was also different. There was no worry or doubt nagging away inside him, only a warm contentedness and the certainty that this time, he wasn't going to run. Enjolras propped himself up on his elbow, feeling all the places his body was deliciously sore from last night and drank in the sight of Grantaire beside him. With his eyes closed and his inky hair spread out on the pillow, he looked younger, softer, as if in his dreams, he went to a place where his fears couldn't find him. A rush of love for him flooded Enjolras, and he couldn't help leaning in to kiss him. At his touch, Grantaire's eyes slowly fluttered open, and he gave Enjolras a sleepy smile.
"Morning" he mumbled.
"Morning" Enjolras replied before kissing him again, longer and deeper this time. He had no idea how he was ever going to stop doing this. Honestly, why didn't everyone do this all of the time?Grantaire returned the kiss for a few delicious moments before gently pushing him away.
"I don't know about you, but I'm starving. For actual food, not just you."
Enjolras's own stomach responded with a loud rumble and they both had to laugh.
"Okay, I'll take that as a 'yes' to breakfast. Let me have a quick shower and then we can go downstairs for something to eat" Grantaire said, getting out of bed. The sight of him standing there naked, while the morning light dappled his skin with gold made Enjolras's heart stutter. He instinctively made to get up, too, but Grantaire shook his head.
"No, you stay here. If I let you come with me, we're never going to get out of this flat."
"Who'd have thought you could be so cruel?" Enjolras said with a mock pout, settling himself back on the pillows.
"Not cruel, practical. I'll be ten minutes, tops."

While Grantaire was gone, Enjolras flicked through his phone, just for something to do. He found about a dozen unread messages from Courf. The most recent one simply said 'ARE YOU ALIVE? TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOU AND 'TAIRE OR I WILL LITERALLY DIE OF SUSPENSE!'
Smiling at his best friend's excitement, Enjolras typed back 'Yes, I'm alive. Sorry for not replying earlier. I was... otherwise engaged.'
Almost immediately, his phone pinged with Courf's reply.
'So, you guys made up?'
"Spiritually and physically" Enjolras wrote, a shiver running down his spine as he remembered last night.
'Yesss!!' Courf replied, along with several eggplant emojis. What the hell did that mean? Before Enjolras could ask him about it, Courf sent another message.
'I actually have to thank you guys for displacing 'Ponine last night.'
'Did you two...?'
'No! Not that I didn't want to, but we've decided to take it slow for the moment. However, we may or may not have kissed...'

In that exact moment, Grantaire came back into the living room, dressed in his usual black armour, his still-damp hair piled into a messy knot atop his head.
"What are you smiling about?" he asked, peering over Enjolras's shoulder and enveloping him in a cloud of his trademark woodsy smell.
"Courf and 'Ponine" Enjolras replied, breathing him in.
"Wait, what? Since when is that a thing?"
"Since last night, apparently."
"Wow. Okay, now we have another reason to go down to the Musain immediately. I am so going to squeeze every last detail out of her" Grantaire said, yanking Enjolras's covers aside to get him out of bed.
"Alright, hold your horses" Enjolras said, scrambling into yesterday's clothes as quickly as he could while Grantaire disappeared for a moment into another room. When he returned, he was holding Enjolras's red jacket.
"Here. I thought you might want this back."
"I do indeed" Enjolras said, slipping it on and feeling properly dressed for the first time in a week. "But if this is a subtle hint to me to return your sweater, I have to disappoint you. I'm keeping that forever."
"Fair enough" Grantaire replied with a smile and then, they finally went down to the café.