Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Song for this chapter: Alex G-Pray It Away

Content warning: contains homophobia

One practically sleepless night later-Enjolras had spent way too long worrying about the situation with his parents, plus Courf snored like a walrus- the two friends found themselves back at the Musain. This time, they were the first ones there, as Enjolras felt like he needed to reassert his authority after his moment of weakness the previous day. Once Éponine had served them both coffee in her usual brusque manner (and Courf had tried his best to act like a normal person around her), they-plus Gavroche, who'd joined them again- settled in to wait for the others. Marius arrived first, oblivious to the fact that Courf was glaring at him behind his back because of the smile Éponine had given him when he'd walked in. That was Marius in a nutshell, actually: oblivious to most things. Next came Combeferre and Jehan, who seemed to be practically inseparable these days. Jehan gave Enjolras a shy smile as he unwrapped himself from his numerous layers of winter clothing.
"Glad to see you're feeling better, Enj."

Enjolras just gave him a cursory nod. He appreciated the concern, but he also didn't want the others to be reminded of his wobble yesterday. Jehan looked wounded at his coldness and for a second, Enjolras felt guilty. Being mean to the youngest of the group always felt a bit like kicking a puppy- it left a bad aftertaste. Seeing his friend's distress, Combeferre gave Jehan's shoulder a reassuring squeeze, letting his hand linger there for just a second too long. There was definitely something strange about these two today... Before Enjolras could pinpoint exactly what it was, however, the door opened again and Feuilly and Bahorel swept in, bringing a rush of cold air with them. As they took their seats, Bahorel sought Enjolras's gaze, a challenge in his eyes. But Enjolras just stared back with all the superiority he could muster and finally, the other man caved and looked away.

Satisfied, Enjolras turned to address the group.
"Alright, I think we're complete."
"Yes, Joly called me earlier to say he's really ill now and Bossuet seems to have caught it, too" Combeferre said.
"Well, as long as they've recovered by the time of the protest. Remember, everyone, it's only two weeks away" Enjolras reminded them.
"We know. You've only told us that like three hundred times since we started planning this thing" Bahorel muttered under his breath.
"What the hell is your problem?" Courf snapped at him before Enjolras had the time to say anything.
"My problem is that this isn't even about the protest anymore. It's just an excuse for him-"he pointed his finger at Enjolras like a dagger- "to turn everything into an enormous ego trip. And I, personally, am sick of being an extra in the Enjolras Show."
"Then why are you still here?" Enjolras shot back, finally finding his voice again. "If everything I do is such an annoyance to you, why don't you just get out? Nobody's forcing you to stay."

Bahorel opened his mouth to retort, but Combeferre stopped him. He had risen from his chair and everyone's eyes turned to him.
"Stop it, both of you. Self-sabotage is not what we need right now. We can only pull this protest off if we work together. All of us."
Somehow, he managed to fix both Enjolras and Bahorel with his eyes as he spoke, and they shrank in the face of his quiet authority.
Enjolras cleared his throat.
"You're right, 'Ferre."
He paused for a moment, then went on, "Maybe I was overdoing it a little. It's just that this cause, this protest is really important to me, and I want to make sure it all goes as planned. But I can't do it without all of you. And I'll try harder not to forget that in future."
It almost killed him to apologise, but he knew he had to swallow his pride just this once. His words seemed to sink in, at least, as the others slowly started to nod, even Bahorel, although he didn't quite seem placated yet.

The rest of the meeting went more or less smoothly after that, everyone seemingly on their best behaviour. They managed to assign the final jobs to each of them: Feuilly was put in charge of banners and posters, with Jehan and Combeferre to help him. Joly was assigned first-aid duty in absentia, although Enjolras hoped that wouldn't be necessary. Bahorel got the task of using his extensive contacts inside their university to mobilise as many people as possible- he knew everyone who was anyone and then some. Marius was supposed to formally register the protest with the police to make sure everything was legal- and also because Enjolras quietly figured he couldn't do too much harm on that task. Courf was in charge of what Combeferre aptly nicknamed 'ladies' recruitment', meaning that he would use his charm to ensure the female student body would be adequately represented. And Enjolras himself, apart from kicking everyone's butts to make sure they did what they were supposed to do, would need to write and deliver the most inspiring speech he'd ever given. So, you know, piece of cake.