Chapter 5

Song for this chapter: Sara Bareilles-Brave

"Still no luck?" Celeste asked as she came into the kitchen. Enjolras looked up from the online adverts he was scanning, like he'd done every morning since he'd moved in with the Courfeyracs two weeks ago, and shook his head.
"No. There just doesn't seem to be a single flat in Paris that you can afford on a student budget."
"I'm sure you'll find something soon" she tried to reassure him. "And if not, don't worry. You're welcome to stay here for as long as you like."
"I know, but I don't want to scrounge off you any longer than I absolutely need to."
Although his best friend's family had never once given him the impression that they thought of him as a burden, he still felt like one most of the time, especially because Celeste wouldn't let him contribute to the rent. It had taken all his persuasive powers to at least convince her to let him help with the groceries, using the money he earned from his new part-time job in the campus library.
"You're not 'scrounging off' anyone, mon cher. You know we love having you here."

Celeste patted his shoulder as she sat down beside him with her cup of coffee, and he got a surge of the familiar sadness he always felt when she was being kind to him like this. It made him think of his own mother, wondering how she was doing, if she missed him like he missed her. He'd texted her a few times since leaving home, but so far, she hadn't replied. Maybe it was better this way. A nice clean break, leaving him free to start his new life. Most of the time, he could make himself believe that...
"But" Celeste interrupted his gloomy thoughts "if you really want to find a place of your own, I might have an idea."
"Oh?"
"Why don't you and Gabriel look for a flat together? Two incomes are better than one and well- I think it's time for him to get a taste of real life. It would do him good not to be waited on hand and foot by his mother for once."
"Who's being waited on hand and foot?" Courf asked with a yawn, as he stepped into the kitchen, still in his pyjamas.
"You, my dear son."
"Well, I didn't get in until four in the morning, so I think I deserve a bit of indulgence."

He sat down and stole a piece of baguette off his mother's plate, yawning again. After Enjolras had moved in, Courf had increased his hours at the bar where he'd worked for the past couple of years and now did the late shift three nights a week. For someone who loved sleep as much as he did, it must be torture, but he never complained. Celeste tapped his fingers to stop him from taking any more of her food before she said "Anyway, I was just suggesting to Enj that you two could move in together if you can find a flat. What do you think of that?"
"I think, Maman" Courf said through a mouthful of bread " that might just be the best idea you've ever had." And turning to Enjolras, he added "Isn't it, Enj?"
"Sounds good to me" Enjolras replied with a smile.
"I can just see it in my head. Our very own bachelor pad."
"More like your very own rubbish tip" Celeste said drily.
"Oh, come on, Maman, I'm not that much of a slob!" Courf protested.
"Says the one who's still in his pyjamas at ten in the morning."
"Well, as long as he gets dressed for the meeting later..." Enjolras joined in the banter.
"Don't worry, I will. Though why we need to have a meeting if we're not planning a new protest, I honestly don't know."
"I just thought it'd be nice to see how everyone's doing."
Courf gaped at him. "Who are you and what have you done with Enjolras? Where is all this concern suddenly coming from?"
"Excuse me, I'm not some kind of sociopath" Enjolras said, indignant.
"Well, maybe just a baby sociopath, not a full-grown adult one" Courf grinned and Enjolras threw Celeste's crumpled-up napkin at his head.
"You two" Celeste said fondly, shaking her head at them. "One moment, you act like you're thirty, then the next, it's like you're three again."
"That's men for you, Maman" Courf replied, deadpan, before getting up from his chair and leaving the kitchen, accompanied by the laughter of his mother and Enjolras.

***

An hour later, the two friends arrived at the Musain, stepping into the familiar, coffee-scented warmth. As soon as they were through the door, Gavroche came running towards them at full pelt.
"You guys haven't been here in ages!" he complained. "I almost died of boredom."
"We just needed some time to recover from the last protest" Enjolras explained, suppressing a smile at Gavroche's indignation.
"Oh yes, how was prison?" Éponine asked, leaning over the counter to join in the conversation.
"Delightful. I'd recommend it to anyone. No, but seriously, thank you for helping to get us out. Thanks to both of you, actually."
"Well, don't get used to it."
Éponine's eyes fell on Courf, who was standing near the door a little awkwardly.
"Speaking of thank yous... I realised I never thanked you for what you did the other night. You know, after the whole thing with my dad."
"Anyone would have done that" Courf deflected.
"Would you just accept the damn thank you, man?" Éponine said in exasperation.
"How about giving me a hug then, as a token of your gratitude?"
Enjolras fully expected Éponine to laugh in his face, but to his great surprise, she actually came out from behind the counter and briefly wrapped her arms around Courf. The whole thing couldn't have lasted more than two seconds, but it was enough to make him light up like a Christmas tree.