Chapter 11

Song for this chapter:
Trading Yesterday- May I

Content warning: references to self-harm, depression and alcohol abuse, some injury detail

Enjolras would have gladly kept kissing Grantaire for hours, but eventually, even the other's warmth wasn't enough anymore to keep him from realising how cold he was. Breaking the kiss, he gently pushed Grantaire away.
"Don't get me wrong, R, I could do this all night, but we should really get out of those wet clothes."
Grantaire, who was still looking a bit dazed, nodded as he tried to suppress his own shivers. "Yeah, you're right. We do need to take them off."
He blushed scarlet right to the roots of his hair when he realised what he'd said, but Enjolras smoothly papered over the awkwardness by taking the keys from Grantaire's hand and letting them both into the flat. The small hallway they stepped into was utter chaos, with coats and hats sliding off the wall hooks and a pile of shoes right in the middle of the tile floor.
"Oh God, excuse the state of the place. We keep meaning to clear up, but life always seems to get in the way" Grantaire apologised as he nudged them out of the way with his foot.
"Actually, compared to the mess Courf leaves everywhere, this is pretty harmless" Enjolras reassured him.
"You guys live together? I didn't know that."
"Yes, I moved in with him after I fell out with my parents a while ago. It was... complicated."

Enjolras felt a surge of sadness as he remembered the day he'd left home and the sight of his mother crying in the doorway. Even after all this time, she still hadn't replied to any of his messages, and it hurt more than he cared to admit. Trying to cover up the sudden emotion, he took off his red jacket and draped it over a nearby chair. Without it, he immediately felt weaker somehow, like Batman shedding his cape.
"What happened between you and them?" Grantaire asked gently.
"We just argued about... things. My life choices, my friends, the protesting." Before Grantaire could probe any further, Enjolras cut him off.
"Right, where's your bathroom? I really need to get out of this shirt before I catch pneumonia on top of everything."
"Of course, sorry. It's the first door on the left. Go ahead, I'll get you something of mine to wear."
"Okay, thanks."

Enjolras disappeared down the hallway and slipped into the bathroom, which was marginally neater than the rest of the flat and filled with the same woodsy scent that always clung to Grantaire like a shadow. The smell brought back vivid memories of their kiss just now and a shiver ran down his spine that had nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with love. Enjolras had just taken his shirt off when there was a quiet knock on the door. His first instinct was to cover himself with the towel he'd just been using to dry his hair, but then he called "Come in" in a brief moment of recklessness. Grantaire did, and his eyes widened as he took in Enjolras's semi-undressed state. Slowly, he trailed his gaze up and down Enjolras's naked torso, making no effort to conceal the raw longing in his eyes. Enjolras had never felt this wanted before and it was intoxicating, if a little scary. The crackling electricity between them grew and grew, until it seemed like sparks could fly at any moment. After what felt like a small eternity, Grantaire cleared his throat, breaking the spell.

"Here" he said, handing Enjolras a sweater, which was, of course, black. "It probably won't fit you very well, but at least, it's dry."
"Thanks."
Enjolras took it and pulled it over his head. As predicted, the sleeves barely came down to his elbows, which made them both laugh, diffusing the lingering tension between them.
"'Not very well' is an understatement, huh?" he said.
"Black isn't your colour anyway" Grantaire replied with a smile.
"True. I don't have that emo vibe you pull off so nicely."
"It took me years to cultivate that, thank you very much."
"I'm sure it did. But emo or not, you should get changed, too, R."
"Okay, but don't look."
"Well, that hardly seems fair. You've seen me, after all."
"Just turn your back" Grantaire said through gritted teeth and seeing he was serious, Enjolras did as he asked, although it was hard to resist the temptation to sneak a peek.