1| Burden

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Burden

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 1: Burden (Delilah's POV)

I came out from the back staff entrance and grabbed my black apron, pulling it over my head and tying it at my waist before securing my hair in a bun with a clip. 

"Delilah, you're late today," Uncle Felix said, spotting me immediately. 

"Sorry. I lost track of time," I admitted sheepishly, grabbing a notepad and pen. I work at Mirage here in Everton. It's my uncle's bar and club. We get plenty of customers every night, mostly men that are here to play poker and gawk at waitresses, but we get tipped extremely generously, and that's enough to keep me working here. It's the only reason I'm still working here. To get huge tips, to save up my money, and finally be able to move out of my uncle and aunt's house. 

Uncle Felix was my father's older brother, and he kindly took me under his wing when both my parents passed away in a house fire when I was eight. My mom wasn't from Everton, and she hated it here but she always stayed for my dad. I look a lot like my mom, at least that's what everyone says. But unlike all the people here, I don't have that UK accent. I'm definitely like my mom in those terms. My mom was from the kingdom of Zariya. 

"Newbies!" Uncle Felix clapped, catching the attention of all the new employees. "Delilah will brief you and lead you for tonight. Follow her instructions and ask her if you have any questions. You can do that, right Delilah?" He turned to me. 

I nodded, smiling. "Of course. Newbies," I sang, turning to them. "Come with me." I walked them over to the coffee table for the staff where they sat down while I remained standing. 

I've been living with my uncle and aunt ever since I lost my parents, and it's safe to say that my aunt despises me. She didn't when I was younger, but since I turned eighteen, an adult, she wants me out of the house. It's understandable, surely I'm just a burden on their shoulders. Another mouth to feed, another person to spend money on. And that's exactly why I want to save up my money and move out as soon as possible. So I won't be a burden anymore. 

"Wear the apron, always. Keep a notepad and a pen, go table to table, and take orders. Be patient with customers," I sighed. "Some of them aren't nice, but you should be." I looked at all the new, young faces. "If you feel uncomfortable at any time, just holler, okay? I'll be right there to help. When you're taking the order, make sure to write the table number in the corner so you know where to take the food, okay? Ladies, keep your hair up. Any questions?" 

"How much does appearance matter?" One of the guys asked. I could tell from his bright blue hair and the septum piercing that he was worried about being insulted. 

"To us? It doesn't matter at all. Just look neat and tidy. If a customer says anything, you're free to bite back," I shrugged. 

"Delilah," Uncle Felix's warning came from behind me. I turned around, tucking my pen behind my ear. 

"They're waiters and waitresses. Not cowards. They're free to stand up for themselves, Uncle Felix. That's what you taught me when I came here." 

He stared at me for a minute before nodding. "All right. We're open now, so everybody, get to work. Go on," he said, waving us out. From 6 PM to 6 AM. Those are our working hours. 

We got to the bar as we left the staff room and I faced all the newbies. "One at a time, I'll tell you which table to start with, okay?" 

They all nodded. They seem so young.