19| Motive

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Motive

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 19: Motive (Delilah's POV)

I was standing off in a corner, taking all the questions Willow was throwing at me. I already told her the story that Spencer and I planned and not much to my surprise, she didn't buy it one bit. So, I told her the truth, I had to. Except, I left out the whole killing Spencer deal.

"I'm going to kill him," she scoffed. "This is forced marriage!" She whisper-yelled. 

"No, it isn't. I agreed," I huffed. 

"Because you had to, Delilah." 

"Not really," I mumbled under my breath. She stared at me wide-eyed, waiting for me to continue. "It's complicated," I said dismissively. I can't help but think that involving Willow would also put her at risk, and I most certainly don't want that, nor can I afford to have another person on the line. "It's convenient, okay?" I sighed, folding my arms across my chest. 

"Is convenience what you look at when you're getting married?" she hissed. 

"Willow," I whined, linking my arm with hers and leading us back to where we were standing earlier. "Please? He's not as bad as people think he is." 

"Please, he has a dungeon in here," she scoffed. 

I bit back a laugh. "He doesn't." 

Does he? I don't think so.

"He's scary, he's bad news, Delilah," Willow sighed. 

I shrugged, looking over at where Spencer was talking to the guy who pulled him away. "The people of our kingdom love him," I mumbled softly. 

"Do you?" 

My brows furrowed as I turned to look at her. "No?" 

"Then why are you marrying him?" she whisper-yelled, digging her elbow into my ribs. 

"It's too soon," I argued. 

She stared at me in disbelief. "It's too soon to love him but you're marrying him? Have you lost your—" 

"Shh!" I hissed as a group of ladies walked past us. I flashed them the fakest smile possible and then rolled my eyes once they were way ahead. "Willow," I smiled at her before digging my elbow into her ribs as she had done to me, making her wince, glaring at me. "Don't talk bad about my fiancé." 

She narrowed her eyes. "Look at you, already so possessive." 

"I'm not possessive. We have people around, come on." We got back to the gazebo and stood near it, talking about other things instead of Spencer. I don't like talking bad about him, it makes me feel more guilty, on top of all the guilt I feel when it comes to killing him. I'm not telling a soul about that plan. When I heard him say he should just kill his father, I couldn't have agreed fast enough. But if he plans to do that, he should do it before I have to kill him. I should just kill his father with him. But the problem is, I don't want to kill anybody! I don't want blood on my hands, whoever that may be. I don't think I'm in any position to decide who gets to live and who doesn't. 

I don't want to be a part of any of this, and the only reason I was dragged into it was because I was simply there, existing. I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time and it came back to bite me. The king saw me at the wrong time at the castle, Spencer saw me... not at the wrong time. He just happened to use me to his advantage. And now we're working towards a relationship, God! Jesus! Things don't work like that. There's no relationship built on lies and the wrong intentions that can last. And that's exactly what my marriage to Spencer is. A huge lie, a huge game, a huge pawn for him to keep his castle.