21| Wife

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Wife

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 21: Wife (Delilah's POV)

I stared at him wide-eyed. "K- Kill you? What?" 

He chuckled, "I'm only joking, Daisy." 

I really just think I should tell him. "Spencer," I whispered. 

"Hmm?" He watched me with a small smile on his face. It lit him up. He rarely smiles and when he does, it's hard to miss it. His smile is the prettiest thing I've seen in a while. It runs deep, I can see it in his eyes even when his lips are still, and it's genuinely... sweet. If he ever loved me, if. Then his smile would be all the love I could ever need. I don't know how much he could even love me after what I'm about to say. "Delilah?" 

I blinked out of my thoughts, my eyes meeting his. 

"You were saying something." 

"I think I should tell you something," I began hesitantly. 

"What's wrong?" He raised his eyebrows. 

I let out a breath. "Maybe we just shouldn't get married." 

He frowned almost immediately. "Why not?" 

"You shouldn't marry me," I shook my head, "I'm not right for you." 

"That completely contradicts what I just said," he scoffed. "I think you're perfect for me." 

"Your father..." How do I say it? I can't force the words out of my mouth, I don't want to upset him, I don't want to hurt him, and the last thing I want is for him to hate me. 

"What did my father do?" His voice came out hard, cold, and stern. He was angry already and I hadn't even told him anything. "Did he say something to upset you? Was he rude or hurtful?" 

I shook my head, still staring into his eyes. 

He watched me, analyzing for a moment before his eyes narrowed. "Did he threaten you?" 

I blinked once, then twice before nodding slowly. 

"What did he say? What did he tell you?" 

"Your father and Nico said they'd..." I let out a huff, closing my eyes and letting go of his shirt, covering my face and getting it together. It's the right thing to do. I'd hate myself if something happened to Spencer, knowing that I could prevent it. I'd never be able to forgive myself. But... What if I tell him and then his father finds out? What if his father knows that I told him and then he does something horrible to my uncle? I can't afford that either. 

"Delilah, you can tell me. I promise I'll keep you safe, you don't have to worry about him finding out," Spencer reassured me. He pulled my hand down and our eyes met once again. "Trust me." He nodded softly. 

I took a breath and let it out. "They threatened to kill my uncle," I admitted. 

He stared at me, processing, not uttering a single word. "Why?" He finally asked. "In return for what? What do they want you to do?" 

I scanned his face, my eyes fixating on his. "Kill you," I whispered. Both of us fell extremely still as if I wasn't frozen in one spot already. I even stopped breathing for a moment. I thought he was about to throw me out of his castle, get rid of me for good, and never see me again.