16| First

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

First

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 16: First (Spencer's POV)

"Shall we have the chandelier polished now? Before the sweeping?" I asked, looking down at Delilah. The engagement party is tonight, so we're currently standing at the staircase, watching the preparations take place the same way I had done for the ball. 

"Probably. Don't tell me you make Ms. Sunny clean the chandeliers though." 

I frowned, "Who else will clean them?" 

"Spencer," she scoffed. 

"She's not that old, is she?" I mumbled to myself, watching as Ms. Sunny barked out instructions for the decorations. 

"Spencer!" Delilah scolded. 

"What?" 

"Someone else should do it. You have staff younger and fitter than her, come on," she sighed, looking ahead and watching. She blinked, her head snapping back to me. "Why don't you clean it?" 

"Me?" I chuckled.

Her eyes narrowed. "Yes, you. You're just as capable as everybody else here. You clean it." 

"I'm not cleaning that, Delilah." 

She chuckled, starting to move towards the staircase. "Yes, you are." 

"I'm not!" I called out after her. 

But I am. Here I am, not even two minutes later, cleaning the chandelier myself. 

From earlier this week when Delilah and I had an argument up until today, our engagement night, I've been trying my best to be a good fiancé to be and she's been doing the same. We haven't argued, so I'd say that's some progress, and I've gotten to know her a bit better. But every time it comes to letting her in, I can't do it. 

I've spent so long keeping people at arm's length, that now when I don't want to do anymore, I don't know how not to. I don't know if I should trust her, I don't know if I should give our relationship a real chance, I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do with her. I just know there's no way she's holding this ladder properly. "If I fall down, Delilah!" 

"You won't," she laughed, shaking the ladder under me. 

I closed my eyes, letting out a frustrated breath before looking down at her. "Come up here." 

"What?" 

"I said, come up here. You think it's all fun and games, don't you? Come here." 

"And have you hold the ladder? Absolutely not, I think you'll make me fall intentionally." 

I rolled my eyes. "Then come up here with me. There's so much staff watching this show we're putting on for them, surely they can hold the ladder," I smirked, looking over at all of my staff who were standing in one line, watching us in shock and amusement. 

"Spencer, I don't think—" 

"Delilah, I swear to god, I will throw this chandelier on you." 

She sighed, looking over at the staff hesitantly. 

"Go on," Ms. Sunny smirked in amusement, handing her a rag. 

I chuckled to myself softly while Delilah looked down at her t-shirt and jeans and then up at me. "Fine. It can't be that hard." She looped the rag through her belt loop and then climbed on from the opposite side, so we were standing on two different sides of the same ladder. She glanced down once and then stopped, her face inches from mine when she reached my level. "There. I'm up here." She held onto the handle with one hand and took the rag out, starting to dust off the chandelier.