Sunday Sermon Summaries (SSS) 7/21

7/25

1. Jesus is the head of the church
Jesus is the head of the universal church. The universal(invisible) church includes all believers. As the head of the universal church, Jesus is also the head of the local(visible) churches. The pastors are simply servant-leaders, a separate position from the head. Matthew 16:16-18 says "Simon Peter answered. 'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God. Jesus replied, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.' Then he ordered he disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah." The rock that the church is based on could refer to Peter, but it likely refers to Jesus.

2. The church is the body of Christ
As Ephesians 5:23 states, "For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior." Just as different parts of the body cannot function alone, we need each other and Christ to function. You cannot love Christ and hate the church at the same time.

3. Contributor vs consumer mindset
Some churchgoers attend with a consumer mindset, and leave the church when they feel that their needs are not fulfilled. They look for faults in the church and look at everything with a critical point-of-view However, those with a contributor mindset look at how they can help build up the church. This can be through something time, talent, or treasure, or by helping support other members.