SSS 11/21

——11/7——
New sermon series: Why Did I Get Married?

Genesis 2:4-8, 15-23
Remember when he first heard songs. When you try to do something, ask yourself why you want to do it. Reasons why people get married: the woman is already pregnant, wanting to get out of the house, peer pressure, feeling that their "biological clocks" are "ticking", in love with the idea of being in love, think it will fix their relationship.

Top three choices in life: who is your Lord and Savior, who is your wife, and who are your friends? When in a toxic relationship, marriage doesn't fix the problems-it amplifies them. Marriage doesn't deliver people away from their problems. When you are single is when it is best to make a good relationship with Jesus. It is important to put God first instead of putting a human or thing first and treating them like an idol.

Your life is for God's glory and not your own. This is very different than culture, in which self-prioritization is favored. Some people get married to complete them, but only God can do that. Some people hope that their spouse will give them what they withhold from themselves.
Some people get married because they feel complete and want to share it with their partner.

Romans 12:1-2 Don't conform to the pattern of the world.

Run your own race.

Bonus second sermon

John 13:34-35 Called by God to love one another. First, we must have a loving relationship with Jesus, then we can help spread his love to others. People who commit violent acts do it because they don't get enough love. God made us to love one another. We are his ambassadors. Jesus can heal us so we shouldn't be worried about being hurt when helping people.

——11/21——

1 Peter 3:1-7 Wives should win over their husbands through their actions. Wives should aim to have a gentle and quiet spirit. This is valued by God. Wives should be obedient to their husbands. Husbands and wives should mutually respect each other.
Ephesians 5:23-24
Make sure to make a good choice of husband, because a wife need to obey his husband whether he is saved or not. The only exception is if a husband tells his name wife to do something unholy.
Sometimes God will send a message to a man through his wife. Men need to make their own decisions instead of relying on their wife that way they doesn't take their position.
Wives should be the right mix of independent and submissive. They also should not challenge every single decisions that their husbands make.
A lot of the avoidance of submission centers around fears of being taken advantage of or seeming weak.
The biggest problem is people who are partially submissive; they pretend to be submissive, but actually aren't. When people do not submit, the person in authority (who has the responsibility) is often the one who gets in trouble. It is important to submit to someone in a position in a place of authority even if you are smarter than them. Christianity is very counter-culture.
The posture of the heart is more important in submission than the posture of the body.
1 Corinthians 7:3-4
People need to be mature enough to accept criticism.

——11/28——
Ephesians 5:33

Still in Love (Why did I get Married?) sermon series

A/N: this "sermon" was set up as a discussion group

Single people should focus on spending time with the Lord.
Priority order: God, spouse, kids, ministry, church, work

Wife may be tempted to be less respect because the man is not leading nor having vision. People have to have a plan to follow through with their vision.
Some feel frustrated about lack of planning. Would you follow you? If not, improve your leadership.

Some women don't feel covered and protected by their husbands.

How do you make your spouse a priority? Speak your spouse's love language. Be intentional.
How do you balance marriage and entrepreneurship? Invite your spouse into what you are doing. Make your spouse a priority. Set boundaries.

How do you recover from infidelity? How do we restore trust? Use lots of conversation, repentance, and counseling. Don't rush the process of healing. First, make a collective decision to walk towards restoration. Don't be around people who try to undo your progress.

How do I remain submissive when there are money problems? The word of God says to submit unconditionally. Try different methods of being submissive.

How do you reason with someone who is not logical? Pray, fast, and use wisdom.

How the wife communicates ... Text, tone, and timing. "Soft answer turns away wrath" Be aware of how you say things. Give people more respect outside of work. Take certain words out of your vocabulary. Be a good example for others Submit a judgemental/critical heart to the Lord.

Seek a win-win solution.