SSS 10/22 +

——10/9——

People don't want to be rejected by people or God.

Joseph felt forsaken by God. God let Joseph get in trouble for not sleeping with Potiphar's wife even though it was the right thing to do. (Make sure God is the reason you don't sin.) Joseph trusted God, so God put him in a position where he helped Egypt prosper.

People get frustrated because they are in  worse situations than people who sin.

——10/16——
Isaiah 44:21
God Has Not Forgotten About You sermon series

David had courage to stand against Goliath because he understood that God was with with him. David lived with a homicidal, bipolar Saul for seven years. This was a part oaf his longer journey from the pasture to the palace.

God never tells people that they are being prepared for something. You need to be faithful and vigilant in the moment and avoid rushing advancement.
David waited decades between when he was annointed and when he became king. He remained faithful even when he couldn't find his place and couldn't see a route to God's promises. Even when he was depressed in the cave, he still looked to the Lord.

It's okay to express your frustration to others like David did.
Psalm 22, 77, 142
David's complaints turned into praise.

Don't settle for just a little. But don't focus on the destination. Talk about God to others.

At the end, David realized that God improved him through his trials and hardships.

——10/23 +——
1 Corinthians 15:57
From Victim to Victor sermon
Proverbs 21:31

You choose whether or not you are a victim. People choose to be victims even if they are saved, even though God has victory. Vicitms are reactive, they blame others, they complain, they wait for things to happen. Victims perseverate on unfairness. It is important to be honest to people whether or not they are victims, that way they can get better.

Victors focus on things they can control. They take personal responsibility.

Victims find a way to lose; they attract negativity. Victors find a way to win.
Some people believe that life is 10% what happens to you, 90% what you do.
People with a victim mentality see things through a negative lens and choose not to take authority of their situation. They blame everything on others and are joyless. They struggle to cope with problems and approach things with a negative attitude.

-+-

(1 Samuel 13) King Saul had a victim mentality. He made the impulsive decision to make an offering to try force God to move. Because of that, God ended Saul's kingdom.

True believers don't do what they are compelled to do.

(1 Samuel 22) Saul blamed all his commanders for not informing him about Jonathan's covenant with David.

(1 Samuel 15) Saul disobeyed God and chose not to destroy the Amalekites. He then lied to Samuel and blamed his disobedience on the soldiers. God disowned Saul. Saul then begged Samuel to pretend that God was still with him. Saul cared more about the people's perception of him than God's actual favor.

Small things to overcome the victim mentality:
Do things you like. Make small accomplishments (such as making your bed every day). Reflect and meditate on the bible. Avoid toxic influences. Take responsibility of yourself from the beginning of your day to the end of it.

Don't become comfortable with being defensive and without responsibility.

Do you want to be free? Do you want victory? What do you want from the Lord?
(John 5:1-15) The man became content with being a victim. He was a victim for 38 years, blaming others for him not being well. Jesus spoke to the potential in the man.

Having a victim mindset can damage your relationships too.

Take purposeful, proactive steps to improve your situation.

——10/30——
Deuteronomy 31:8
Deuteronomy 20:4
Victim to Victor sermon series

2 Kings 6-7
Since the officer didn't believe that God could lift the siege, Elisha prophesized that he wouldn't eat any of the food that would appear. The men with leprosy who discovered that the Arameans had left were proactive and decided to try surrender. They went from a victim mindset to a victor mindset. (This sermon slightly contradicts a previous sermon about not trying to force God to hurry up.)

You have to have follow through to take advantage of strong starts. Not following through is detrimental to your reputation, self-esteem, etc. Eventually, you start to get used to procrastinating. You can't wait for the perfect moment because it won't happen.

Don't be defensive when others have to plan around you. Take the opportunities God gives you.