SSS 10/21

——10/3——

Prelude: Two person panel about The Bridge. The Bridge is a multi-church co-op between Innovation Church, Independent Presbyterian, and St. Paul Baptist Church that is working to renovate a home, teach a renting family how to own a home, and give/sell the home to the family. Talking about how most of the volunteer work is done with professionals starting to offer their services.

Sermon:
Luke 9:57-62 "As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, 'I will follow you wherever you go.' Jesus replied, 'Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.' He said to another man, 'Follow me.' But he replied, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' Jesus said to him, 'Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.' Still another said, 'I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.' Jesus replied, 'No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.'"
Second man is making excuses. You have to sacrifice your life to follow Jesus and not look back once you follow him. Jesus didn't water down the gospel.

Mark 8:35-38 "[Jesus said, ]'For whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them and when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels.'"
Are you truly ready to follow Jesus? Cross a sign of humiliation and death. Surrender to God. Real alter call is that you have to carry your cross. People overuse "bearing the cross" nowadays. People aren't willing to give up stuff to follow God. Jesus served others instead of asking to be served. Don't "just be friends" with unholy people. Get into bad relationships where you aren't ready to be invested.

Some people only ask for forgiveness and don't repent. People who only ask for forgiveness temporarily Chang their behavior. People who repent actually change their heart. Repentance is necessary for salvation because you need to turn away from your sins. (Central theme idea?)
Isaiah 1:18-20 "'Come now, let us settle the matter,' says the Lord. 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.' For the mouth for the Lord has spoken."

Romans 2:4

——10/17——

John 13:34-35 "'A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.'"
John 14:1-17 Throughout Jesus's life, he served others with humility. When he washed this disciples' feet he exemplified that this is what we should do to one another. This is contrary to how society focuses on self-benefit. Jesus unconditionally loves us and wants us to unconditionally love one another.

Some people have the wrong motive to serve. Some serve to be rewarded and recognized by others. They won't be rewarded by God for their service. Those who do it for God (don't try publicize it) will receive a reward from God.

Do Light Work 24/7; bear good fruit. Be patient with others, be compassionate, extend grace, and respect others. You always represent Jesus wherever you go. When you are being grumpy, irresponsible, cuss, or being a bad example in general, your light is dim. Another way to do light work is walk in meekness like Christ. Don't let sinners praise you and draw you to their path.
Phillipians 2:7 "rather, he made himself nothing (of no reputation(KJV)) by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."

——10/31——

1 Corinthians 13:1-8&13 Many people have different definitions of love. Most of the time, it is shaped around what they experience that they think is love. This includes tough love.
Recently, people have been defining and redefining love.
1 John 4:8 (ESV) "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."
1 John 4:16 (ESV) If God is love, then who is God?
Psalm 136:1 God's love is unconditional, so we must also love unconditionally. Most people get this wrong. Revelation: you are expendable. Pride: when you hear something right and know it is right, but deny it. The way we experience love is the way we give it off. People are in a consumerist mindset.

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love does not envy. Love does not boast. It is not proud. It does not dishonor others. It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs.