SSS 4/22

--4/3--
Judges 11
God of the Underdogs sermon series

Jephthah became a gang leader because of his family problems.

Some stuff about trauma, parenting advice, and tearing down altars—like Gideon did—that I was partially paying attention to. I chose to read the rest of Judges instead.

--4/10--
1 Samuel 16:7
God of the Underdogs sermon series

Israelites wanted a king, but God didn't want them to idolize a king and be like the other nations. God will give you to your sins. Samuel anointed Saul the king of Israel.
1 Samuel 16:1-13 David was anointed to be king.
1. Be faithful
1 Samuel 17 David knew that God would deliver him from Goliath.
God already delivered David from a lion and a bear.
People forget about God delivering us and we don't have confidence. David was brave because of his relationship with God. Be the light of the world and speak out against ungodly issues. David waited for God to make him king instead of rushing. Lead where God wants you to lead.
David's music made the evil spirit leave Saul. People need accountability. David had great integrity because he didn't kill Saul. Psalm 22 Psalm 13 David prayed to God asking for help with his thoughts. David thanked God for blessing him. Psalm 23 Don't hide your blessings. Underdog situation from upbringing or from sins.

I'm glad this sermon series is finally over.

--4/17 Easter--
Jesus: Paid in Full sermon

John 19:28-30 Greek word Jesus said is past, present, and future tense.
Before Jesus, animal sacrifices were used. Jews were supposed to give God the best of their flock. In the Day of Atonement, one goat was sacrificed as a sin offering and the other was released.
Jesus ended the sacrificial system because He payed the perfect sacrifice. Jesus did not sin, but he died for our sins. Jesus came to set the oppressed free and heal the (spiritually) sick.
The men cut open the roof of the house to get their friend to Jesus; they showed great faith.
Jesus didn't bend to Herod when Herod told Jesus to leave.
Jesus suffered before and during his crucifixion. John was the only disciple that was present at the crucifixion.
There is something greater on the other side of your cross. Your cross is your obedience to God.

Matthew 28
When God saves you and forgives you of your sins, you owe him your life. Don't waste your second chance given by Jesus paying for your sins. (Romans 6) Jesus rose from the dead as he said, proving that he would do everything else he said. Some people walked away from Jesus thinking that he wasn't the Messiah since he didn't save himself. But Jesus came back to the church to prove his authenticity. Jesus was the first person to completely overcome death (ignoring Elijah). Jesus gave us access to heaven: "Without the shedding of blood, there is not remission of sin." But animal blood is not adequate. Jesus is our substitute.
Jesus came to Earth as a human so that he would experience human emotion and temptation, and to show that he was a servent-leader. He was sin-less in these circumstances to show us his strength. God comes through to help your situation even if you have lost hope. We can't pay for our sins because Jesus already has.

To get salvation, you must have a relationship with Christ.

--4/24--

Minister Mike's Now What? sermon
Psalm 8:2 When we praise God, all of our enemies stop.
"Post-Easter Hangover" Some people go back to business as usual after Easter.

Some people go back to normal, sinful lives after Easter.
Matthew 28:18-20 The Great Commission is a command, not a suggestion. In track, you have to be in position to start the race. You have to lower yourself and humble yourself to be ready to take the Commission. Some people don't run or run in place. God is telling us that we need to go and make disciples. It means that we need to leave our comfort zone. If you fall, get up and keep following God.

Government gave a mask mandate. It was required for everyone. God gave a kingdom mandate to spread the gospel. This mandate is for all denominations. Gospel is a military term meaning that winners of a battle give news of victory to messengers.

When a team wins the Super Bowl, all of the team gets a ring. Only 53% of practicing Christians have heard of the Great Commission.
Luke 24 The disciples were walking and upset about Jesus's death. They didn't realize they were talking to Jesus because they were magnifying their own problems.

Trust fall. We see (large) person falling represents problems. We believe that we can't handle it. But we don't need to handle our problems alone. God will help us.

Mike's father finished his race in 2018. God helped Mike bond with his father before he died. His father set up a scholarship to help break generational curses.

When Mike stopped preaching it was jarring, but God was working to help reinvigorate him. It was good to be checked on instead of checking on others. He got fired suddenly a few years ago without reason. He was confused. Mike struggled to get a job during COVID. Despite all of the "no"s, he still got one "yes". For 18 months he worked part-time. Many people will help you only when it helps them.
Galatians 6:9 Still do good to others when they don't do good to you. The Great Commission is a kingdom mandate and kingdom mindset.
Matthew 6:33
Don't follow people because of their charisma, follow their character.

Mike was at a car repair place and a customer was cussing up a storm. Mike asked the employee about how he was doing and he said that he was glad church was tomorrow. When Mike asked who the pastor was, the employee said it was the customer.

Mike got a position at a clinic helping patients with spiritual health. He got hired for a job evangelizing to doctors and CEOs. His mentor saw that he thought God wanted for Mike. The owner sold it to Mike even though others were offering more because of God.

Religious mindset is self-centered. It only helps when it helps itself. Offended easily.
Kingdom mindset is God-centered. Forgives quickly.
Offence becomes a weight. God can't move in your life if offence is blocking him.

The Holy Spirit can help you daily if you have a Kingdom mindset. It isn't only for Sundays.