Chapter 2

After a few minutes of sipping in silence, Liam, in a much calmer tone, said, 

"Okay, please explain." And explain to him I did. 

Not long before I graduated high school, Cynthia's daughter got in a car accident and passed away. Cynthia became depressed, and she had to step down from her teaching job. Soon after, her health declined. The doctors suspected that it was due to depression and stress. For a few years, Cynthia lived with her sister in Seattle. After a while, though, her sister was unable to care for her, and her doctor suggested that she live somewhere more rural. She asked family, friends, and colleagues for help, but none of them could. Finally, she asked me as a last-ditch effort. I had been living here for a year, had a stable job that paid well, and an extra bedroom. I told her that I would take care of Cynthia. I was only 21 and had my whole life ahead of me, but this woman had done so much for me when I was a teenager, and I felt that I owed her one. 

For a while, Liam just sat there in stunned silence. I could tell he was struggling to take it all in. Finally, he asked me,

"Is she here, like, right now?"

"No, she's at a doctor's appointment, and I have to go pick her up soon, so you should probably leave." I grabbed my car keys from a magnet on the side of the fridge and started for the door, but Liam's hand reached out and grabbed my wrist. 

"So about that," he said, releasing my wrist.

"What now? Cynthia's appointment is over at 4:00 and it takes half an hour to get there!" 

"I don't have anywhere to stay," he said, rubbing the back of his neck again. 

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair in exasperation. I already had so much on my plate. 

"Fine. You can stay here tonight, but you might as well make yourself useful. There's a wheelbarrow full of weeds in the backyard. Take it and dump it out in the big pile behind the garage. Then go pick up a pizza for dinner. Please," I added. He didn't say anything after that, but right as I was about to walk out the door, he said,

"Thanks, Kate."