Chapter 8

Liam and Cynthia came home a few short hours later to me sitting on the couch reading "Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms". It was one of my favorites as a teen, and I remembered exactly where I'd first read it, but best of all, Cynthia was with me when I bought it, and that day was the best day of my life. 

Cynthia sat down beside me. Softly, like a feather. If my eyes had been closed, I might not have noticed her. 

"Do you remember when I got this book?" I asked her.

"Yes." She didn't say anymore after that. She picked up her purse, went to her room, and closed the door. I closed my book and sighed. 

"Thanks for breakfast," I said to Liam. 

"Oh, it's no problem," he told me.

I decided I liked having Liam around.

Later that evening, when I took Cynthia her medications, I found something interesting. Cynthia was sitting on her bed reading a book. It was Anne of Green Gables, a book we both loved. I was pleasantly surprised by my discovery.  I hadn't seen Cynthia reading a book since before the accident. To be fair, though, I hadn't seen her do much of anything she used to enjoy since before the accident. 

After watching her take her medications, she returned to the book, and I quietly slipped out of her room to tell Liam of this improvement.