Chapter 5

Before bed, I took a shower, and then Liam put on a nature documentary, but I mostly texted my best friend, Skylar. I told her all about my crazy day. 

HEY, SKY

what's up girl?

LIAM MILLER SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE TODAY

what???!!! i thought you guys were done?

HE CAME BACK FOR ME

is that a good thing?

NO. I'M JUST SO BUSY WITH CYNTHIA THAT I DON'T THINK THAT I CAN HAVE A BF RN

yea, i get that. how's cynthia taking it?

IT'S KINDA WEIRD. TODAY AT DINNER SHE WAS REALLY CHIPPER, BUT THEN SHE EXCUSED HERSELF TO BED. I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR HER, BUT SHE MADE SOME ODD COMMENT IN THE CAR TODAY ABOUT HOW MAYBE LIAM WILL BE GOOD FOR ME. I DON'T THINK THAT'S POSSIBLE.

you never know, katie. i gotta go. ttyl

BYE <3

When the show was over, I went to my bedroom and closed the door. I texted other friends for a while, but when they all had to go, I found that I couldn't fall asleep. So I did something that seemed to be becoming a common theme of the day. I cried. My pillow was soaked, and I probably looked like an idiot, but I didn't care. No one was there to see me. At least, until I heard a knock on the door. 

In horror, I wiped my face off on my blanket and went to get the door. What if Cynthia needed something? But no; it was Liam. Ugh. I was about to close the door in his face, but he held it open. 

"Can I come in?" he asked. In response, I just pulled the door open wider and flopped down on my bed. 

"I heard you crying," he told me. Mortified, I sat straight up, and I could feel my cheeks getting hot. 

"What's wrong?" 

He put his hand on top of mine, and I didn't feel the need to pull away. My eyes stung with more tears, but I let them come this time. 

"I'm just so stressed with work, and having so much yard work and cooking to do, not to mention taking care of Cynthia, and I'll be starting school again in September." After thinking about all of this for a while, Liam said something. 

"I have an idea. I can help you. I'll do the cooking, yard work, help with chores. I'll even take Cynthia to her appointments."

"If?" I asked him. 

"If you'll let me stay here for a few weeks."

"I'll let you know my decision in the morning," I told him. He patted my hand and was about to leave when he turned around and said,

"Do you work tomorrow?"

"No, I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings, and Saturday lunch." I work as a waitress at a popular diner in town. 

With that, he left my room, and for whatever reason, I fell asleep very quickly after that.