Chapter 7

I didn't know what to do for the rest of the morning. There wasn't anything to cook or clean. No one to attend to. So, I sat down at the counter and ate breakfast. I think it was the longest breakfast I'd had since middle school. After breakfast, I cleared my plate and just sat for a few minutes. 

Free time. What do I do with free time? 

When I was younger I enjoyed reading, painting, and hiking. I decided to start with reading. 

Cynthia had a large bookshelf filled with books from her old classroom and my childhood. As I stood there deciding which book to begin with, I allowed myself to run my fingers over the spine of each and every book. Many of them brought back memories, feelings, and emotions. I could remember where I was when I read it for the first time, what was going on around me, and how the story made me feel.

My fingers stopped when they came to a thick leather-bound book that was marked HOLY BIBLE. 

How long had it been since I'd picked that up? I think it was right after Cynthis came to live with me. I used to be strong in faith. I went to church every Sunday. Regularly attended a women's Bible study, read my Bible daily, prayed often, and relied on God for everything. I had grown busy, though, and eventually, religion was set on the back burner. It was something I participated in if I had the extra time and wanted to. Well, as you can guess, even if I did have extra time, I never really wanted to. 

I felt guilty about this, so I took the Bible out from the shelf, but instead of reading it, I hid it between some blankets so I wouldn't have to see it.