Chapter 11: The Climb

“So what you're saying is Barnabelle isn't my sister, but me in an alternate dimension.” I attempted to wrap what Marceline had revealed to us around my head. “Yes. Your mom was a daring scientist. She had performed a somewhat similar experiment. She had walked up the palace steps, her pregnant tummy showing. She became offended when her alternate told her to leave, and she used some old magic; something nobody had seen in a thousand years, and she made off with Barnabelle. I was sent into the dimensional portal after her, but I knew that I couldn’t compete with her magic. I spent the next 7 and a half years watching her; your mom put her in suspended animation. She stayed 7 years old until you we're 7. I don’t know why you don’t remember her not in your life up until you we're 7, but I saw her. She took her out on your 7th birthday, and ever since she had been your ‘twin sister’. Finally I saw my chance when you we're both alone outside the walls. I used some of my demon powers to turn into a dragon, taking her back to the dimension she came from. But when the royal family wanted the woman who did this to them, I was told to come back and take your parents as well. I did as I was told, and they we're put in prison on the black reach mountain. They’re still there, at the very top.” My eyes welled up with tears. “There is no possible way that is true. There’s no scientific proof, and even so; my mother had pictures of both of us together when we we're small. She was with me the whole time. How dare you lie to me!” I pushed the door open and ran through the corridors.

••• Marshall Lee •••

I've never been a man of science, but I don’t believe this chick. She was completely off her rocker. That seemed a little elaborate and it lacked enough detail to be true. I was even there when they grew up; I played pranks on both of them all the time. I'm not sure why she would lie to us, but I have no reason to believe her either. I simply left the room and searched for Gumball. I reached the palace steps, only to find a pink ball rolled up; tears and screams coming from him. “Come on Gumball. Shake it off, she isn't relevant.” I rubbed his back as he let his feelings out. The longer we sat there, the angrier I got. How could someone sit there and make such a mean joke to someone knowing it was a deep and personal subject to begin with?

••• 12 years earlier •••

A month had gone by since the walls on the candy kingdom had closed. Without a proper ruler, the 7 year old prince would be taking the crown. Royalty was weird, but I understood a great lot of it. I decided I would go to the coronation, Gumball was one of my closest friends, even if we didn’t see eye to eye. I flew fast, the wind blowing my hair around wildly. I had reached the gates in a matter of seconds, despite the distance being so long. I guess flying at the speed of sound has its perks. The trumpets sounded as the council circled the young pink boy, chanting the olden language of the kingdom. I didn’t understand what they we're saying, but I knew it meant they we're tying the bond between Gumball and the kingdom. It was a ritual that had been passed down since the first Candy Kingdom royal family. The ceremony was quite boring; I had to stop myself from falling asleep multiple times. That night, I stayed behind with Gumball; I thought he could use a friend. “So, how does it feel to be an orphan?” I asked jokingly. “How could you!” he screamed at me, throwing a glass at me and calling the guards. That was one of the many times I was thrown out of the palace.

••• Present •••

I suddenly felt so bad. I was just like her. I made him feel so horrible about losing his parents. I'm probably the reason that he never got over them being gone.

“Gumball, look at me.” I cupped his chin. “I have an idea. We’ll go to the top of black reach mountain and see your parents. If she was being honest, they’ll be there; and if she's lying I'll set her body on fire and make her go insane. Who knows, maybe we can find out what really happened along the way.” His facial expression didn’t change, but I could feel his pulse. It began to slow and the beat wasn’t so strong. He had finally calmed down. Within minutes he was asleep in my arms, his soft snores we're adorable. I floated both of us back into the palace, laying us both down for the next day.

•••

“Are we set?” gumballs eyes shimmered in the morning light. The small team of allies from home gathered at the steps of the palace before we headed off to explore. He had said we might as well check the mountain, but he wanted as much data from this place as possible. “Everything is packed and everyone is excited to go.” Peppermint maid informed him. We walked out the gates and headed for the mountain.

As we approached, I noticed that the mountain was the tallest. The peak was just above the dark angry clouds. They looked like millions of creatures circling the peak. Lightning flashed and a piece of rock fell from the top of the mountain. I could sense many demons and other creatures within the confines of the obsidian mountain. It made me question whether or not I was right to bring gummy here or not. I may be the future king of the nightosphere, but the demons may not listen to me. “Guys the inside is stocked full of nasty guards and stuff.” I informed the group. “Why don’t we just fly up?” Gumball suggested. Why didn’t I think of that? We all grouped up into a buddy system. A non-flyer with a flyer. It made sense and it was a perfect plan, that is until he'll broke loose. Halfway up, the guards noticed we we're there. We all began to be pelted with random fruits, peaches, mangos, tangerines, pineapples; those hurt like a bitch if you we're wondering. I let Lord Monochrome and Peppermint maid take Gumball while I distracted the guards.

I used my powers to turn into my giant demon bat, creating a giant shadow across the side of the mountain. I raked my giant bat arms along the sides of the mountain, ripping out hundreds of them. I transformed back into my usual self and used my super speed to catch up to the others. The guards had thrown electroshock nets on Cake and Fiona, any attempt of escape and they would be shocked to death. Peppermint maid was using her black magic in front of Gumball for the first time, shooting fireballs or throwing an endless amount of heels at the guards. Gumball and monochrome fought together; MC blasting them into a shade of grey, only to get taken down with one of the many inventions and gadgets Gumball had created as they stood around confused. The only problem we had was the clouds. The clouds shielded thousands of sky demons, some occasionally throwing some lightning (and some shade), or diving down with a 185 mph tackle. Being pelted with pineapples again made me realize I had more powers besides transforming into a bat. The clouds turned pitch black, lightning coursing through them. Although I wasn’t trying to attack the sky demons yet, it knocked a bunch of them out of the sky. The ground erupted with hundreds of skeletons. Some humanoid and others like Griffons or dragons. They all mounted a flying creature and took to the sky, taking down anything in their way. The great thing about a skeleton army is if they’re defeated, they just come back. It’s not like they’re alive or anything. The dragons breathed fire upon the enemies, sending them crashing and of course as they panicked. A giant blue jay swooped out of the sky, eating some of the skeletons. Let me clarify. It was a zombie blue jay; its blue feathers had faded to a dull grey. Many off the dragons and griffons worked together to take it down. It dropped to the ground from a thousand feet above, its body falling coated in flames and deep lacerations. After dealing with the rest of the idiots who dared challenged us, we finally set foot on the peak.

••• Gumball •••

The air was incredibly thin, and the thick clouds didn’t make breathing any easier. We had touched down and rested for a few moments, or maybe more like 10. I'd be lying if I said I wasn’t having mixed emotions about being here. I wanted nothing more than to have my parents back, but at the same time I don’t want what Marceline said to be true. I didn’t want my mother to be an inter-dimensional criminal, but at the same time; I just wanted her to stroke my hair and tell me everything would be okay.

We slowly walked to the summit, the highest level of the prison. The obsidian cages we're filled with people, but two of them stood out; my parents. The ground tumbled and the mountain collapsed.