Chapter 14: Time To Let Me Go

••• King Gumball •••

The cool night air felt good for a change. I was standing on the balcony, just enjoying the silence and the stress relief of my day. Here I am, a 21 year old man struggling to get over a break up like a 12 year old girl. It's been six months since our official break up and I'm not gonna lie, this was hard for me. I've broken up with Marshall before, but this time, I was really ready to say goodbye. He plagued my thoughts and my stress relieving day off had been ruined. I will always love him, but it's time to let go.

••• Marshall Lee •••

I'd be lying if I said I thought going back to the nightosphere with my mother wasn't the best idea. I knew that he wanted his space, and I gladly gave it to him. I indulged myself in my work; learning all about the nightosphere and the demons and everything else. It was a real bore but it kept my mind busy. I miss him, I really do. The longer I'm away it makes me strain for his touch. Just the thought of him being in my presence again aroused me in several different ways, but I ignored the feelings the best I could. I will always love him, but it's time to let go.

Six months have gone by, and I feel like utter shit. Six months in Aah time that is. It's been only a few weeks in nightosphere time, but I still get out and about with some old friends. Tonight, I was sitting on the hill where I was going to build my house, just looking at the stars. The Candy Kingdom's lights shone from the small distance, and I could see the lights going out, one by one; until there was one left. Call it a coincidence or call it fate, but I could see he silhouette leaning on the railing. I couldn't make out his face or anything else, but b his stature I could tell he was racking that big brain of his. That was always his favorite place to think. Is it really just a coincidence that his balcony is the only thing lit up in the kingdom? I debated the thought vigorously, and then laughed at my choice of words in thought. It's because of him I now use words such as vigorously. I frowned as he turned and went back inside, the light flicking off. I still love him, but he still needs his space, and I still need to forget.

••• King Gumball •••

I could feel his gaze on me. I didn't know where he was, but I could feel his eyes. If I knew one thing about Marshall Lee, is that he is very persistent once you take away what he wants. I once again turned my focus onto him and scolded myself for it. I'm the king of a kingdom now, I have much more responsibility now, and I don't have time to be disrupting my duties over some feelings I have. I sighed as I spotted the dark figure on the hill, knowing it was him. I turned on my heel and closed the doors. I stripped down and turned out the light. The blankets felt vacant without him here, the same they have felt for a year now. My thoughts before drifting off into unconsciousness were filled with all of our good times. I still love him, but he still needs his space, and I still need to forget.

••• Peppermint maid •••

Watching these two love-struck idiots avoid each other but needing them is making me hurt. Gumball is so unsociable and is secluded from everything else. He only leaves his room when a kingly duty call for such, and then it's back to his room. They say time heals all wounds, but it has been a year. Maybe this isn't a wound, but more of something that was always blank. Like a place that was always there, designed to be filled by the other. Like a hole in the heart that can only be repaired by love. Maybe that's why both of them are moping around but acting like they're fine. I can't stand it like this.

"Yesss? Who is it?" he sing song voice echoed off the cold walls. "Oh Peppermint Maid, please come in." he cold fingers rushed me inside. "Hello Simone." I greet her kindly. "What brings you here? Gunter, don't you dare push that-" She was interrupted by the sound of shattering glass. "Gunter you go to time out right now!" she pushes the penguin into the corner. "Now, to what do I owe this visit?" she smiled happily. "It's about Marshall." I frowned. Her demeanor changed instantly upon Marshall being mentioned. "What's wrong with Marshall? Is he okay?" her worried voice matched her fearful face. "No, not really. You see, he had a very intense relationship with-" she cut me off. "Yes, I know of his relationship with King Gumball. Oh, he must be heartbroken still." She cried dramatically. "I need you to talk to him. You are the only person he truly cares about enough that he will listen to. You have to tell him to make up with Gumball." The conversation idled for a moment before we both left her castle. She flew off to the nightosphere while I made tea.

•••Marshall Lee •••

"Marshall, you must listen to me!" she cried. As soon as she mentioned Gumball, I stopped listening. "No, I don't want to hear it. Gumball is happy without me and I can tell. I've seen him. He's just fine without me, and I'll not jeopardize his happiness again." I argued. "Marshall, you of all people should know that just because someone looks happy doesn't mean that they are. Fake smiles are the norm in today's world, and I'll not have you falling for it. Now get out there and talk to him!" she demanded. "He needs his space." I whispered. "It has been six months, Marshall. If both of you are still hurting, it's not going to get any better. The only way he can be happy is when you're together, and if you are so built up on making him happy, you need to go to him." She begged. "No, he's better off without me and I'm better off without him. This is the last I want to hear of this." I closed the door. My eyes had boiled up with tears and I'm no longer holding them back. I love him so much, but I hate him for having to let him go.

••• King Gumball •••

"Peppermint, you know that Marshall Lee and I are no longer compatible as lovers. We are over with." I confirmed. "Gumball, you, and Marshall make each other happy, and I hate to see you unhappy." She stated. "Marshall is happy, I've seen him. He's fine without me." I argued. "Gumball, you of all people should know that just because someone looks happy doesn't mean that they are. You long for him, I can feel it. You need to be happy. You are all about your duty to the kingdom, but what about your duties to yourself?" she debated. "You know that I do not care for that kind of talk. I enjoy working, and if I was unhappy, my work would be shirking, which it is not. I highly recommend you leave me alone for the night." I shooed her out of the room before collapsing in the floor. I love him so much, but I hate him for having to let him go.