Chapter 7: Trying to Understand

Quick Authors Note: GUYS! This is the first IJYP update of 2015!? Neat huh? Anyway Ive tried adding a video from Youtube and it keeps saying it cant play because of a UMG, so if anyone knows how to deal with any of that, just message me or comment. Ill start posting them when I update when I learn how. Also, Ive been revising some chapters, so if you find something that doesn't make sense, incorrect grammar, misspelling, ect. Just let me know.

•••

••• Marshall Lee •••

I cant believe he doesn't remember me. I dont plan on giving up on him. He's in pain, and I know deep down he remembers. He has to. Im not gonna give up, not on him. Hes too important to let go.

••• Prince Gumball •••

"Sir, would you like some more hot chocolate?" Peppermint Maid popped her frame through the door. "If it is no trouble, please." She nodded her head and the echo of her heels tapping on the floor fade as she gets closer to the kitchen. I think she knows I remember. She always knows. I pour the green mixture into the flask over the bunsen burner to heat the formula to the correct temperature. I push my goggles off my face and set the timer. The tapping of heels become louder as it echoes through the hall. I graciously accept the steaming beverage and take a small sip. She curtseys and exits my laboratory, letting me finish my work. The formula is almost done, the liquid is now a deep purple, and bubbling from the heat. I sift through my notes to find the directions for the next step, but they aren't in the usual pile. Why aren't they in the lab? I had pinned them all together in perfect order, how is this one paper missing? I sigh and decide on going to find it, if the formula isn't made according to my notes, it could be disastrous. I hurry through the door to my sleeping chamber to try and locate the missing paper. Time was quickly diminishing, I had heard the formula bubbling at a unusual pace. The paper was laying on my nightstand, where I had clipped the papers together. I probably neglected to stack the papers neatly to pin them together. I rushed back into the lab and quickly began reading the process. Add 2 drops of Liquid Fire, 3 grains of sugar, and a pint of royal blood. I gathered the ingredients from the various sources of the lab and rapidly stirred them into the mixture. It began glowing an evil red, and looked about to explode. I forgot the blood! I held in my hand the syringe. I needed to quickly get a pint of my own blood to add to the formula. I pushed the needle into my wrist, and pulled the handle back, extracting the crimson liquid. I added the last ingredient before putting a bandage on my wrist. The mixture turned a heavenly pink, like my skin.

This is the start of a technological revolution. Not just for this world, but for all worlds.

••• Marshall Lee •••

He grabbed the paper and ran out before I could tap on his window. He looked busy, probably playing in that lab of his. He just loves all that science junk. I decided to sneak in and wait for him, he had to sleep sooner or later, right? I swooped in the open window and laid on his bed. The most strange thing about this castle is that the Lab goes to the royal bedroom. That might be normal for science nerds or whatever, but its weird to me. He probably had it added when his parents and sister disappeared all those years ago. I remember that day well, its when I realized I liked Gumball.

••• Prince Gumball •••

The formula was at perfect temperature to be added to the master drive key. I poured the pink liquid into a vat of sparkling purple jelly like substance. It quickly turned the same shade of pink as the formula, and the mixes together. I shut the door to the fridge door to let them mold together before completing my contraption tomorrow. Now, was time for rest.

The bedroom is cold and dark. A single candle emitting a fragment of light to the vast open area which was my sleeping chamber. I strip down to my boxers and lay down in my very comfortable bed. Sleep calls to me as two strong arms wrap around my waist and pull my body closer. The feeling is very comfortable and very familiar. I open my eyes and jump out of the bed, finally realizing that I dont sleep with anyone except Marshall Lee. Well, used to. I flip on the light and there he is, the grey skinned king of the Vampires, dressed in nothing but his black and red checkered underwear. "What do you want Marshall Lee. And why are you in my bed?" I question a but harsh. " Im not gonna give up on you. You may not remember, but we were in love. I love you Barnaby. And you love me." He grabbed my hand and he gazed into my eyes. "No, Marshall Im not gay. I like girls. You are just making this up to try to prank me." I lied. I remember everything. The kisses. The flying. The dates. The sex. "You.. You do remember. You've been lying to me the entire time!" He shouted. "How- what kind of accusation is that!" I countered. "Im the Vampire King, I can read your thoughts. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that you remember everything. You lied to me and made me feel like shit!" He began to yell. "Marshall that is not the entire truth. At first I had no memories. I didn't know who anyone was. But then I saw you, and I remembered your face from my nightmares while I was in that coma. The entire time, I repeatedly saw you and.. her, in countless situations. When I saw your face, I knew what I needed to do. To protect me, and my heart. I had to pretend like I never knew you, so that you would give up on me, and maybe I wouldn't go through another heartbreak. I know I made you feel horrible, and I sincerely apologize for hurting you. I thought it would be best for you, me, and my kingdom." My hand ran through my hair as I ended my explanation. "Gumball, you should never feel that way." He wrapped his arms around me. "Marshall hold on!" I ran for the lab. The door swung open and I put on all my laboratory equipment. I mixed a few chemicals in a flask. "Marshall Lee, you may be undead but you will wear proper lab attire in my Laboratory." I stopped him before he crossed into the lab. He put on his lab coat and goggles before floating beside me. "Whats this?" He inquires. "Do you remember the portal that opened durring the bi-annual scientific brains meeting-"
"You mean the big nerd fair?" He genuinely questioned. "Yes Marshall, the Bi-annual scientific nerd fair. Anyway, at that meeting, a portal opened randomly. It was from another dimension parallel to ours. Ive been working on a machine that can open a sort of doorway to this other dimension and maybe discover what exactly caused it. I mean, this isn't the first time this sort of thing.." I trailed off, remembering what happened when I was little. "Bubba, are you okay? Whats wrong?" The tear fell over my eyelid and rolled down my face. "A long time ago, me and my sister, that nobody is allowed to talk about. We were both playing out in the grasslands where we now hold the 'nerd fair' when an inter dimensional portal appeared.

••• Flashback •••

"Barnaby, come on! We have to find out what it is! Its for science!" She tries to persuade me into her plan. "Barnabelle, no we can't. We don't know what's in there. We need to go get Mom and Dad." I pulled her with me. "No. let me go! Im going in weather you come along or not!" She screamed and ran into the portal. I ran so hard, my chest was constricting and my sides were burning. "Momma, Barnabelle, she went, into the thing. She, shes gone. Momma bring her back!" I yelled at her. "Come now sweetie what is it." She calmed me while she hung up her lab coat. "We were playing outside, and this thing appeared, like a portal or something, and she went in. I tried to stop her but she hit me and ran in anyway." I explained to my parents. "Come, we need to figure out what to do." My mom looked at my father. "Ill call some guards to meet us there. Maybe they can help." He left the room.
The pudding guards were taping off the scene when we got there. "Mom whats gonna happen to Barnabelle?" I asked her for the hundredth time. "I dont know Barnaby. I dont know." She replied in that soothing voice. Suddenly the ground got dark. We all looked in the sky, and a black and purple dragon swooped down, fire shooting from its mouth. "Barnaby go hide! Now!" She shouted. I watched it all happen from the secret passage entrance. The guards didn't do anything, they just stood around screaming. The dragon touched down, the ground burning from its flaming breath. My father drew his sword, but he was no match. The dragon just snatched him up in its clawed hands, along with my mother. It flew towards the sky, then dives back down. It went through the portal, which closed on the tip of its tail. I still have it, that black, scaled tail. After that, I never saw my sister or my parents again.

••• Present Day •••

After explaining what happened to Marshall, I was in tears. "Well that explains why the Candy Kingdom doesn't use pudding guards anymore." He chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "But, I've made a machine that, hypothetically, can open the door. The formula is a self sustaining energy source that can keep it open. The formula will produce an unending energy source for the gateway between dimensions, so when I go through to locate and return my family, I dont have to worry about it closing on me." I explained. "Im going with you. But tonight, were going out, so get your party gear on."