Chapter 9: Project Ooo

••• Gumball •••

 My eyes opened to the dark room, pale arms wrapped around me. I smile as I remember the night; the way he kissed me passionately as he pushed my heated body to his bed. Why it is me and Marshall always end up together after a party? I don’t question mine and Marshall’s relationship; you can't fight the rain when it’s already falling. I feel him stretch, signaling that he's woken up. “Morning Gummy, sleep well?” his raspy morning voice echoes in the room. “Yeah, I did. How about yourself?” I ask grinning. That’s the first time in months that I've woken up like this. “It was my best sleep in years.” His face is inches from mine. He leans in and my eyes instantly close, waiting for that moment when our lips meet, but it never comes. Instead, his teeth bite down on my nose playfully, and we both laugh. “Shall we get up and get ready to take on the day?” he inquires. ‘we shall.” I answer, smiling at our humorous conversation. We both head down to his kitchen, which is small and unappealing. “Marshall, how would you feel about a kitchen makeover?” I feel bad about asking, but its hard to cook with the faulty stove and short counter space. “Actually, I've been thinking about a total house reconstruction. Take the whole house down and rebuild. It’s just so small and I've loved it all these years, but it’s just too small for me now. I need to move the studio into its own room and get a larger kitchen area.” He explains his plans. “Hm. I think reconstruction would be a wonderful idea, but wouldn’t you miss it here? I mean ever since we met you’ve lived here, probably years before then too. There’s probably millions of memories here.” My fingers graze over a picture frame, and I pause to look at the fragment of the picture it contains. It’s burned at the edges, but you can still make out a young Marshall and ice queen. He was clutching a small stuffed monkey who was missing an eye, and ice queen was bending over Marshall’s shoulder, a wide smile on her face.  I continued to stare at the picture until Marshall walked behind me. “I remember this. It was so long ago, during the great mushroom war. It was before she lost her mind. That tiara has some weird freaky stuff in it. She used to be… I don’t know anymore. She just doesn’t remember me anymore.” Tears build up in his eyes. He tries to squint them away and fight them back, but to no avail. A single tear falls over his eyelid and slides down his cheek. “Shhh, Marshall it’s okay. We’ll figure it out somehow, and we'll do it together. I might be able to do a little research on the tiara and fix it. I can check around wizard city and see if they know anything about it. I'm not sure exactly what I could do, but we'll figure it out together.” I try and comfort him, bringing his head to my shoulders. His feet touched the ground and his sobs leveled out. I hated seeing him like this. There were very few things that could make him cry, and they all concerned his past, his mother, or ice queen. “I'm sorry. I'm not usually like this. It just gets to me sometimes about how close we were, and almost a thousand years later it’s gone. She was the only one there for me back then, my mom had abandoned me, and I had no way of protecting myself.” He dried his tears, but I know he still felt like crying.

 “Well anyway, I might just move and build another house, like somewhere in the Candy Kingdom.” His voice was still shaky from his crying, but I helped him change the subject to make him feel better. “Maybe, but why not just move in the palace with me?” he seemed to stiffen at the words. “I don’t know gum. I just feel like I need my own place. I'm not sure why but there’s just something about having your own custom house that I want. It’s nothing to do with you, I'm just weird.” He was hiding something, but I didn’t want to push him. “Oh, Marshall! We need to hurry, I have to be at the portal grounds in 2 hours!” I panicked. I still had to go home and put on my royal outfit and get ready for the unveiling of the portal. “It’s okay Gumball, I'll fly you there after breakfast. Now eat up, it’s getting cold.” I giggled at his motherly tone. “Alright, okay I'm eating.” I smiled at him. He kissed my forehead as I put a big piece of waffle in my mouth.