Part Eight

FLASHBACK CONT…

“You know I charge my students for lessons,” I told Aston. A week later and he’d appeared three more times for little five minute piano lessons. I’d taught him a few chords and he was well on his way to knowing ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.’

“How much?”

“I’m not saying,” I replied.

“Are you saying you want me to pay you?” he smirked.

“No… I don’t know. You’re just very lucky I’m being so kind.”
“I am indeed.”

I rolled my eyes at him, turning back to the keys in front of us. We were again sat side by side at the piano, me explaining to Aston how to get the chords just right for the song.

“How about lunch tomorrow?” he asked quietly.

“What?”

“Can I take you to lunch tomorrow?”

“No.”

“Oh…” he said, a bit taken aback by my answer. I couldn’t tell if he was hurt by my dismissal or just shocked.

“Wait a minute… were you asking me out?” I asked him.
“I mean, I guess…”

I turned to look at him for a second, surprised by this. Why was he, Aston Merrygold, asking me out on a date?

“You don’t even know my name.”
“Sure I do, Jess,” he grinned.

“How did you…?”

“Nametag.”

“Oh, right,” I blushed, looking down at the nametag on my chest. Of course. I’d drawn my name in a flowing cursive with acrylic pants on a plastic badge. Bill my boss thought it was overly flouncy but I didn’t care.
“Listen, I was just trying to be friendly. You’ve taught me a lot and we seem to get on ok. I want to get to know you better,” he said.

“You’re not my type though,” I told him.

“No?”

“I go for the starving artist. Grungy, struggling… you are far from that. You have an income for starters.”

“Well you’re not usually the type of girl I’d go for either,” he said.

“And what’s that? Models? Popstars? Actress?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, “You’re just a lot more sure of yourself. And a lot more innocent.”
“I’m not innocent!”

“Oh you are,” Aston grinned, “The way you blush at half the things I say. You’re very innocent.”

“How do you know I don’t have a boyfriend?” I challenged.
“You wouldn’t blush at me like you do if you did,” he said victoriously, “Or if you do then you clearly don’t like him that much.”
“You’re very full of yourself.”

“No, I just know I’m right.”

“Whatever you think,” I said, sliding off the piano bench.

“Come on, lunch tomorrow. Give it a chance,” Aston said, following me to the counter. He watched as I slipped around the gap in the side, perching on the stool behind the cash register.

“I can’t.”

“Come on.”

“No, I mean, I actually can’t,” I clarified, “I’ve got class.”
“Class?”

“I take some piano lessons,” I shrugged. “Just twice a week.”

“But you’re brilliant.”
“I’m not a virtuoso by any means,” I scoffed, “I’m learning music theory. Like how to compose and that.”

“See that’s interesting. I’d like to hear more about that,” Aston said, “Over lunch maybe?”

“Aston…”

“How about the day after tomorrow?” he asked, pressing on.

I studied Aston’s face for a minute, “Only if you play the song I just taught you perfectly when you come in. No mistakes.”

“But…”
“You better practice,” I winked.

He gave me a look, his eyes searching mine for a minute before he nodded his head in agreement. “Deal.”

The door twinkled as two older gentlemen wandered in. “See you in two days,” I whispered to Aston, sliding off my stool to go help my customers.

“See you.”

As I sat and waited for Aston’s arrival two days later I couldn’t help but be a little bit nervous. I could just tell that he was the kind of guy that would take the challenge and execute it to perfection. Which meant I had a lunch date. What the hell was I meant to say to him? He was so not my type. And he was a popstar.

“Jess, do you mind dusting off the harps in the back?” my boss asked as I spun slow circles on the stool by the cash register.

“Sure,” I said, grabbing a cloth from under the counter and slipping through rows of pianos.

I got distracted by the beautiful harps, plucking my fingers gently on the strings as I dusted them off. I was so distracted, that I missed the twinkle of the door and the arrival of a new customer.

Soon enough, I heard the clear sounds of my favorite grand piano, ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ echoing through the shop.

“Hey Bill,” I called, “I’m going to take my lunch break now!”

“Ok Jess… Be back in an hour. And don’t be late! You’re closing tonight!”

“Sure thing!”

Without a word to Aston I grabbed my purse and coat, pushing my way out of the shop.

“Did I do it?” he asked, chasing after me.
“We’re going to lunch now aren’t we?”

He grinned proudly, nodding his head and pointing down the road to a quiet café. I looked over at him, inwardly rolling my eyes before following after him for our meal.

He was so not my type, but he still had me drawn in. Like a moth to a flame.